Huntington Beach Photography Meetup Group Message Board › What makes this Meetup group different.

What makes this Meetup group different.

Rick R.
RickRosen
Group Organizer
Huntington Beach, CA
Post #: 20
What makes my Meetups different?

If you do a search on Meetup for photography groups you will find around 100 Meetups in So. CA. This is the largest collective of any subject on Meetup. How will you decide which groups to join???????

First, check the activity calendar. You will find that many groups are inactive.

Secondly, you will find that many groups are just a get-together for photo shoots. Often they include women dressed in bikinis and gobs of photographers clamoring to shoot them. If you are looking for an opportunity to just get together with other photographers and take pictures then perhaps you should consider some of these groups.

When I established my three Meetup groups I was determined to offer more than what was available in the typical photography Meetup. Being an experienced photographer with over 40 years of teaching others I knew that I could offer a valuable educational component to my groups. So, I consider my groups different in that you will not only have a chance to actively photograph but you will also actually learn photography and improve your skills. That, in a nut shell, is what makes my groups different.

The other difference is that most of my activities have a small fee attached. I do very little free Meetups. I discovered early on when organizing that when you schedule free Meetups they quickly fill with attendees but only 10-15% of those RSVP's actually show up. I had one field trip where 20 were committed but only one person actually came. Meetups take work to plan and organize and when there are so many no-shows it is very discouraging.

Due to the educational content of my activities I feel that a fee is appropriate. Those that attend obviously seem to agree. Frequently I also include a video tutorial to supplement the information presented in the field. Obviously those take time to create.

So, to summarize, if you are looking to grow your skills in photography while having fun with other like-minded photographers my Meetups are worth considering. Hope to see you soon!

All the best,

Rick