Need A Dance Partner? Message Board › 31...seems to be the lucky number this month....

31...seems to be the lucky number this month....

Ann M.
AnnMillerTX
Dallas, TX
Hello my dancing friends...

We still have another week or so left in September and so far this month, we've had 31 new members join.  We are quickly approaching the 450 members mark, and as always I'm so surprised by the number of members in this group.

Because we have so many new people joining--on a daily basis I thought I would send out an email to let the new members--and the existing members that the calendar for this Meet Up is always open to everyone to post lessons, dancing venues or even spur of the moment I'm going here dancing tonight do you wanna come along type events.

For the past 2 months, I've been gone more than I've been home, yet this group continues to grow and thrive.  I don't take the credit for that, I think because it's a great idea.  You want to go out and dance, you want to learn to dance, but you aren't quite sure about walking into a new place and not knowing anyone.  I've been there, I understand, and that's why I started this group.

I had a message from someone this week that left the group, that I wanted to share.  "Went to one meet up.  I didn't fit in, and there was no one to dance with.  I can sit alone without being in a group." It made me very sad.  I understand that, I've joined some meet up groups that just weren't for me.  It might take more than one time to connect with a group of people.  I like to think that we do our best to be welcoming to new people, but there are times when I am out on that dance floor after being on a plane all day, and I just want to get out there and dance.  I'm not sure if I was out of town, or at the event this person attended.  I know that so many of you come up and introduce yourself to me, and I love that.  But, I can be terrible with names if I just meet you once, I think I'm a little better with faces, please forgive me for not always remembering you--I am old you know. :)

I'm going to be honest with you, it's going to take some effort on your part.  You may need to come more than once.  You might want to make a comment on the Meet Up calendar for the event and say, "Hey I'm coming, I'm new, I need a dance partner."  I know how hard it can be to ask a guy to dance and I know it can be just as tough for the guys. There are nights that I go to a place to dance and I have sat out the lessons because the math is bad and there just aren't enough guys to go around.  You can give up and sit alone on your couch, or you can try again a different place, a different night.

Dancing is like most things in life, it's what you make it.  If I would have given up after my early experiences of not having a partner for lessons or to dance with I would have never started this group.  The positives outweigh the negatives and I will continue to keep things humming along with my crazy life schedule.  Because I do think that this group has had a big impact for a lot of people who are now out there dancing and having a great time.

Get off that couch...stretch out of that comfort zone..and make a few new friends.

:)

Ann
Aravind
user 62135082
Frisco, TX
Post #: 1
Hello Ann,

Very well written message to the group. We must thank you for not only forming this group but also your energy to keep it going and strong!!

From my experience to find a partner, patience and not giving up is very key. I believe finding a partner is an art in itself as much as learning to dance.

All,
I'm learning salsa/bachata and need a partner. Ladies can feel free to contact me if you need a partner. I go out pretty much every Sat night.

Everyone have a great week!!

-Aravind