I Read Dead People Message Board › Great Gatsby Trailer

Great Gatsby Trailer

Dave D
Dave_D_Nashville
Group Organizer
Nashville, TN
Post #: 351
Send an Email Post a Greeting
In case you missed it, there's a new version of the Great Gatsby coming out, staring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire.

http://www.youtube.co...­
Sylvia
Photoshop_Fiend
Nashville, TN
Post #: 120
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
The news had not reached me here, under my rock (what a shocker, huh?), but, of course, I was interested. My rating: FAIL.

It looks–and sounds–like a twenty-first century costume party, one where authenticity is of no interest to anyone. It painfully obvious to me that hair, make-up, clothes, and accessories are of modern day design. And DON'T EVEN get me started about the music. The interior design in the main living areas is from the wrong periods, too early in some places, way too modern in others. The Queens street shot was passable, but Times Square looks so modern it's laughable (not to mention that in the 20-30 foot high sign that reads "Ziegfeld Follies" all in lights, they misspelled Ziegfeld!). One wonders why the responsible parties (and, I use the word "responsible" loosely) didn't simply set the movie in 2012 without pretense.

Fitzgerald would not have been pleased. DiCaprio looks too out of shape to play Gatsby, and he appears too awkward and quiet (and at times too overly nervous) in the part to carry it off. The actress who plays Daisy blows the character's best and most important line in the book (“You always look so cool”). Of course, the director is just as much to blame for that. Carraway, who should be our linchpin, is lost in the noise and glitz.

The only nice touch was the Art Deco-esque title artwork. If the trailer is anywhere near to a fair representation of the movie, then it is a poor adaptation of a great book. As most people will neither know nor care, and as it is full of perfect bread and circuses appeal, I'm sure the movie will be a financial success.

"So, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Dave D
Dave_D_Nashville
Group Organizer
Nashville, TN
Post #: 352
Yes, but they have a zebra in the fountain!
Lee_K
user 10104703
Nashville, TN
Post #: 33
Looks very stylized. Too bad.
Sylvia
Photoshop_Fiend
Nashville, TN
Post #: 121
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Dave wrote:
Yes, but they have a zebra in the fountain!

Do they?! Oh, well, in THAT case, I'm there! Nothing says "fun" like zebras in fountains.

Sylvia <---- totally missed seeing the zebra, but caught the typo