March 31, 2014 · 5:00 PM
Approaching a Closed Source Project with Open Source Tools
Why did Harvard University pick an Open Source platform to power its websites (and how we became involved), why the White House made a similar decision (and the Israeli angle) - and how come Capitalist Paypal.com uses Communist Open Source (and why that isn't actually so).
Open Source doesn't just refer to a technology, but to a different attitude and mindset. I'll discuss the values that enabled this approach to become a leader in contemporary software development:
* The tools & thinking of Open Source, and why they're worth implementing
* Total transparency as a way to reach accuracy
* Teamwork, and the role of the "benevolent dictator"
* The vulnerable points of a distributed project
* Is Open Source cheaper?
* How to migrate from closed source to open.
Presentor: Amitai Burstein, Co-Founder at Gizra, a software development company specializing in Drupal and other Open Source solutions.
HIRO-Media. The Video Content SSP