This group is for anyone interested in learning more about self-expression; communicating better with their fellow human beings; getting over social fears/speaking hangups; growing through challenge and experience; letting go of limitations; thinking faster and more creatively; and learning more about handling random situations in life.
That's pretty broad, but improv actually can help in a lot of ways, plus it's just plain fun. If the self-development side doesn't do it for you, it's for those who are fans of Whose Line or just laughing in general, or theater and/or acting enthusiasts. Improv for Self-Development is about expanding self-awareness by working with others through improv exercises, discussion, creative movement, and whatever other fun suggestions the group wants to pursue.
In other words: This group is about finding other people in San Diego who are creative, fun, expressive, humorous, and playful or would like to develop these attributes in a fun and supportive environment - all types of artists and random individuals are welcome!
Some reassuring thoughts for those who are still on the fence: Our sessions are loosely structured. We are welcoming and supportive. There's no pressure and no criticism (of self or others). We're all beginners/bumblers, and this is not a class. I'm not an improv professional! I'm an amateur like you. We're just here to play, have fun, and grow.
Improv for Self-Development was started in 2013 by someone who had an awesome idea, but unfortunately had to move right after establishing the group (and never had a Meetup). I took over the group in May of 2013, and we've been meeting fairly regularly since then. Here’s what you should know:
- We try to meet every other week.
- We meet Sunday afternoons. During the summer, we meet in the great outdoors and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.
- This is a no-flake group with a 3-strikes rule. The 3-strikes rule for flakes, etc. is strictly enforced.
- Read the FAQ and the Policies pages. All your questions – including ones you didn’t know you had – are answered there.
- Improv for Self-Development is FREE. It is the you-get-what-you-pay-for-it improv group. If you're looking for a welcoming environment, fun people, creative activities, and something with zero impact on your budget, then we are totally the group for you.
New members must be approved by the Organizer
Content of this Meetup Group is only visible to members