Indy Meetup Photo Club Message Board Software & Post-processing › Photo correction software

Photo correction software

A former member
Post #: 1
Can anyone suggest a good (not too expensive) software where you can fix (mostly clone) photos? I was using Creative Memories "Memory Manager" but it is a software that also manages pictures and I never used that portion of the software. I ran out of hardware space and had to uninstall it. Now I have no way of cloning pictures. Help!!!
A former member
Post #: 18
I got Paint Shop Pro (Ultimate Photo x2) when it was on sale at Best Buy for about $50. I think it's about the best bang for the buck.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks Glenn. When did you purchase this on sale?
A former member
Post #: 19
maybe a year or so ago. it is on sale often.
A former member
Post #: 23
I'm using the same, but version X3 (the most current) along with the video software as well. It's actually up and running right now. PaintShop Pro has been around for years, originally produced by a different company and bought out by Corel about 3 or 4 years ago. I am biased towards Corel as I learned the basics years ago in their design/vector drawing package. They have a more high-end photo/image editing suite, but the PaintShop Pro package has always been a good value. It's hard to beat and gives you the basics and then some.

Right now X3 can be purchased direct from Corel for $49.99, or almost double that for their Ultimate version. I have Ultimate but haven't done much with the extras. They are certainly not essential for most people. I got an excellent deal when I ordered the paint and video bundle earlier this year so I couldn't pass up going Ultimate.

I think you'd enjoy using PSP Photo and would get to learn the things you want to do fairly quickly, including using the Clone tool. It also has the ability to run a more stripped down, barebones touch-up lab if the full editor seems too intimidating at first, or if you just want to plow through a bunch of pictures quickly with basic color/brightness or cropping changes. Like most photo editors these days even in the full version you can close/hide/minimize most of the extra side panels, docks, flyouts, etc.

As a RAW image editor I can't say it shines. I've opened RAW files and it gives tweaks, but it seems to be lacking the ability to put these tools into the regular editor. I may have overlooked something, so don't take my word entirely. I suspect you'll work mostly with JPG files and this program will do justice and then some.

Photoshop Elements is another to consider, but it's priced closer to $80. The side benefit of using it would likely be you'd be learning how Adobe puts their tools and menus together, so if you bump up to the full Photoshop some day you'll be in familiar territory.

In all honesty, I say, unless you'll miss a good deal and like taking a little risk, go download the trial versions of some applications and see what you think. You'll usually get fully working copies, and if you wind up buying the program you can usually just plug in your license code and not mess with reinstalling again to have the full registered version. Heh, I have installed some programs 2 or 3 times on my different computers and there are some collections/suites with the same product in them so you can almost extend your use (typically 30 days apiece) if you need more time to decide or save the $.

If you need help finding the trials to download, let me know and I can post links. They usually require you sign up with an account...a nuisance but a common practice.

Dave
A former member
Post #: 24
And you can get the full version of Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 right now for $29.99! You have to use the coupon code: BONUSBUCKS20 in your cart- it is CasE seNsiTive. An excellent deal for a great piece of software.

Glenn- upgrade price is just $19.99 after coupon, fyi.
A former member
Post #: 4
I think Corel's Paint Shop Pro is under-valued and under-appreciated as an editing software program. I have both Pro 3x and Photoshop Elements 7 (long story, sorta) as well as Microsoft Digital Image Suite 25th Anniversary Edition (now out of print) and use all three ... although mostly Elements 7 and Microsoft. I use Elements 7 for my primary RAW image editing and conversions to JPG because I'm familiar with it and have become comfortable with it. I use MS for the hardcore final work on JPGs -- definitely all my cropping, most of my B/W and sepia conversions and any software texture filter applications. But I've turned to Corel PSP3x on a couple of occasions recently and was not frustrated as I thought I might. I find the "add text" feature much easier to use there than with Photoshop. If you can get it at the $30 price Dave mentioned, I think it would be a nice acquisition. Having said all that ... I've read that GIMP -- which is free -- is almost as versatile and full-functional as Elements or comparable programs. So if you want a versatile, free "trial," give GIMP a try. Again, it's free, and you can't beat that price.
A former member
Post #: 4
depends what your looking to achieve with your photo editing software. If your looking for a program that has great support behind it stick with Adobe elements 9 and then get the work book at borders that is a classroom in itself with a DVD...
Myself i like adobe lightroom 3.2 Its fast its organized and it works with HDR Photomatix Pro.
I had elements 8 and for me it was way to slow.
Brandon B.
user 11229691
Mooresville, IN
Post #: 3
This is something that I have been looking at for a while now. But, for lack of money haven't been able to get the Adobe Suite just yet. This is the software I am really wanting to get my hands on. I wouldn't mind knowing though what else is out there for me to try. Does anyone have any recommendations on editing software that is a little more Mac friendly. Corel's PhotoShop Pro is strictly windows and GIMP requires some additional "stuff" that I'd rather not get involved with in order to run their software on my Mac. Like I said, Adobe Photo Shop is What I really want, and should be able to get, hopefully in the next couple of months. One of the particular features I am looking for is "layers". I haven't found any software out there yet that can perform this task.
A former member
Post #: 28
Can you spare fifty bones + tax for Photoshop Elements 9? Best deal around right now I'd say: Photoshop Elements for $50

Looks like good through 11-28-2010 and appears to include both Windoze and Mac versions.

Beyond this and the Corel deal I posted, if anyone can't see they are worth the price offered, I can't help any more than that. :)