addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Indy Meetup Photo Club Message Board Software & Post-processing › Looking for a decent photo editor that won't break the bank?

Looking for a decent photo editor that won't break the bank?

A former member
Post #: 81
Try FREE after rebate for a price. Yep, there's a deal going on right now for Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3

Newegg is a great place to shop. I imagine Corel may be looking to put out an X4 version of that software soon, but I regularly use X3 and enjoy it greatly. It's no Photoshop, but on par with PS Elements and similar.

You can download a free trial copy to check out the software from Corel's site Heh, looks like they dropped the price on their site (for now at least), clearly trying to move product.

Just know you have only until 8/3 to purchase for the rebate to be valid.

Have fun!
Amy L.
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 18
I think that Google's Picasa is also a great, basic photo editor. Its really powerful for color-type editing. It has a great collage feature which allows the user to choose images to make into various types of collages. It also handles raw files beautiful. And the best part: its FREE.­
A former member
Post #: 11
I use Picasa almost exclusively only because I'm still working to learn GIMP, which is just like Photoshop CS4 or higher.... The best part it is also very very very FREE at­.
Picasa also had a link to Pic-Nic which has limited free extra photo treatments. However, Pic-Nic is going out of business about mid-April so you can try the full version free until it goes off the air. Haven't seen what Picasa is going to do when Pic-Nic is gone.....
A former member
Post #: 116
Picasa is adequate for many touch-up processes but as you know had its limitations. It is perfect for those needing exposure to photo editing without all the complicated tools. Who knows what Google will do with Picasa, let's hope it doesn't fade away like Picnik.I was frustrated by the cataloging and organizational elements of Picasa but for those maintaining a large Google-centric presence it does keep things centralized.

I tried GIMP long ago and it is a very powerful open source software product. My brain is stubborn though and it thrives on familiarity. The more products you try the more you come to appreciate the menu layout, the tool controls, the layer and mask capabilities. I don't know what GIMP offers by way of raw image manipulation but it is a highly evolved set of tools for jpg work. I think for people new to photo editing it would be equally as daunting as Photoshop.

I made my original post in this thread mainly targeting those who were ready to get past the freebies of the internet.