Indy Meetup Photo Club Message Board Indy MU Photo Club - General Forum › Flickr link to IMUPc

Flickr link to IMUPc

A former member
Post #: 100
We discussed this in december and i have talked with Carol about having a link for photos and further discussion on Flickr. Jeff suggested last week that we open our group to IMUPC.
We established this group for serious photographers here in Indiana who like getting together and going out shooting. Dave b. Jeff ( radarbrat) Myself and Erik moderate the group. There are some others here allready who are part of the flickr group. IF your interested and would like to join here's the link
http://www.flickr.com...­
I will also provide the link on flickr for others who may want to join in on IMUPC as well
Carol T
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 56
Dave,

I'm a little confused on your last paragraph.... If you will explain that more fully.

I think MeetUp has a great photostream now...as you pointed out...but sometimes we dump way too many photos in these. So, the question is: Do we limit the amount of pictures in these??? I don't know...

I think Dave Scott (Shooters) has a great idea...but I agree, we don't want to do anything that will take away from the club.

I wonder if there coud be a notation at the top of such folders (or the Photo tab itself) that would say "...for additional photos" go to...and give the website...whether it is Flicker or something else.

I don't want to dismiss this idea...but I think we need to explore it a little.

I'll be meeting with Loren Elks within the next couple weeks about a couple matters...this is one I could also bring up...as I'm very interested in providing some type of "additional" site we can jump to (and still maintaining our current site as is) that will provide us with 1) the type tabs we want and can't get thru MeetUp, i.e. one for New Member Orienttion...their needs 2) Purchase of photos...for when we have events like Park2Park and want to have our photos available for sale 3) a possible 2-Tier group as you and I have briefly dicussed for those "more professional" in the club 4) for additional photos that go beyond the set limit (which we don't have at this time 5) possibly an advertisement tab 6) other tabs as we find necessary and see how successful that additional link is.

So...bottom line: Let's not get toooooo overly ambitious with this just yet. Let me explore this with Loren and see if we can get something going there with the aid of the Indy Media Artists group; and let's talk shortly after that meeting I will be having with Loren.

I plan to have a Leadership Team Meeting in mid-April (soon after the F-AG meeting)...and this is one thing we will bring up for discussion Perhaps any talks with Loren, then you/me...is something we can share with the team at that time.
Carol T
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 57
Thanks Dave!

This is a GREAT help...as always (Reason I like you in this role!!!)!

I'm aware, as probably most in the club who've been in for a while are, that MeetUp is a great site and has its benefits...but definitely has its limitations (and frustrations!!!). This is just one of many we have encountered since I've been a member...and, probably the reason we get formatting changes quite often as I believe MeetUp is trying to make things better...for all,which does not take into account the individual club needs.

There is a way to maintain our MeetUp status and reap all the MeetUp benefits...and yet attain our goal. I just don't know exactly how to technically get from A to B myself. This may be something you are quite savy with...but I know I'm not.

From previous talks with Loren, he has assured me that they have investigated that route...and that is "why" I want to disucss this issue with him. (Why would I want to reinvent the wheel???) I know that Loren will tell me straight, no BS, and will offer me all the help and assistance I/we need for achieving the club's goals. He's told me that before...and I know he'll (they'll) come thru for us. I tend to view the IMA as a "big brother" type club.

My question is: Is Flicker the ONLY sight out there? I believe there are quite a few...and some may offer more??? I think it's this type thing that I want to hear. Plus, what will each of these sights allow us to do..just upload photos? I would like an additional sight that will do all we want...even if it costs us a small fee/year.

I don't want to make a switch/addition...then, wish we had chose another sight. I'd like to do some healthy investigating...reporting of all our fact finding....evaluate... THEN, see what all we have to do to get that accomplished.

We've recognized that there was a need for over a year or so. I don't think that a couple more months is going to create a problem. But...I do agree...that we do need to move in that direction.

Would you, Dave S, Jeff, and others you know (anyone else out there who's reading this...too!) investigate these sights...and email me (in any format you're comfortable) what each will do. If there is a cost factor...please include that with your report. Get these to me by March 31...so I can run this first by the Financial Advisory Group (F-AG) and once they have an agreement; then we'll run by the Leadership Team a couple weeks later for any further input. We will make a decision at that meeting.

Meeting for F-AG is April 5; meeting for the LT is April 19. Dave if you can be at the April 19 meeting to support this, I would very much appreciate this.
A former member
Post #: 101
Carol i like the KISS factor. Flickr is free. 2nd we have had the group for over a year now. Gaynel Dave B Jeff and myself are in the room ( flickr). All we need is a place to post photos that we wouldn't normally post in IMUPC or want to discuss photos further. IMUPC has the same vision as we have had in the Flickr site. That's why Jeff mentioned having it part of the group @ the bowling Ally. 1st i brushed it off then i thought about it more. We shoot together we all have a passion for photography and want to learn more and 3rd we enjoy each others company. For now i have made changes in the flickr site making it easier for members to join. BUT dave B, Jeff and Erik also have a say in the Room.
If anyone can help out in this endeavor your talking about its Dave B. I trust him and His Input.
Carol T
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 58
Dave S,

Thanks for the quick reply. A lot of unknowns on my part about all these sites. I wonder about SmugMug, Google, GoDaddy, and I don't know what all else is out there.

Just what little investigating I've gone to...looks like IPage has a decent deal. It does have a monthly charge...but a lot of "unlimited" space and maneuverabiity...which is something we've been so frustrated with with MeetUp's site. I have several concerns:
1) I don't want us to go to a site just because it is "free"
2) I don't want us to go to one site, then find out a little while later than another site may have been "better"
3) I want us to have easy access to whatever we would have on that site...so whoever goes to that additional site won't have to then search for "whatever" they want. I want it to be EASY and CONVENIENT.
4) I want the additional site to offer an option for outsiders to be able to look at our photos and make purchases (like we may have from Parks to Parks). I think IPage offers that option.
5) I want to be able to have some type say so in the design. Some sites are limitd on the amount of templates they have available....if we go the route of "templates". Otherwise to hire/find someone who has web-design experience could be costly. I know several where I work...but I doubt they'd do it for free??? But, Loren Elks, with IMA, may take this on as a project for that group since me, Dave, and a few others from our group are members there too.
6) We'd want to be sure be have MORE than sufficient photo space
7) We'd want to be sure we have space a new group I'd like to get started before end of the year (2-Tier) as Dave B calls it. That will bring on a lot of space needs.
8) I'd want it to be able to provide space EASILY for our New Member Orientation Program that will start later in the year.
9) I'd want it to be able accomodate future needs that may arise form our Education and Focus Groups as they grow and develop.
10) Whatever route we choose, it will not replace the current MeetUp website...but will be an addition.

So...you see, there is a lot to consider. I'm not sure Flicker can do all this. And, I'm not sure what all is out there. That is why I asked for all of you (everyone) to gather information...facts...along with any $$ involved and get that to me in writing before March 31...so I can take to the Financial Advisory Group for discussion.

When I say in writing...you can email to me such that I can copy and paste onto a sheet for the groups review.

Yes...there has got to be something out there...but I'm not certain Flicker is the complete answer. Yes, I think it could be the "photo" part...but I want more than just a photo drop.
A former member
Post #: 102
So how big has Meetups become! As of resently Flickr is now joining in with the meetups as well. Carol you may want to checkout the new advantages of flick meetup groups
A former member
Post #: 6
As some of you know, I am a HUGE advocate of FLICKR. Overall, it's great for photo browsing in several different ways. I won't go into all of them here, just go the the site and browse for yourself. You can search by subject, photographer or a vague term used to describe the popularity of a photo that FLICKR calls interestingness.

In no way would the site replace the MEETUP site. It would do a MUCH better job of hosting the photos that we all love to share. One of the largest downsides to MEETUP is the inability to browse photos by each individual photographer. I'm always curious about what all someone may be posting, but MEETUP does not make it easy to see. I don't really care to look through the same 200 photos every time I'm looking for something new.

The photos as posted to FLICKR appear in higher resolution and thus are much better in seeing detail and color. For those worried about photo piracy, there are several different protection methods provided by FLICK, but like any site, those that really want a photo will find a way to get it. I'd recommend uploading a photo no larger then 1000 pixels.
A former member
Post #: 7
Just to clarify a bit-- FLICKR would only be good for hosting photos. It's not good for organizing events or calendar management.
Carol T
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 59
Thanks Jeff for making that last comment.

What little I know about and have heard about Flickr is that it is just that...a great place for "hosting" photos. I agree with you that it is somewhat difficult to find something in our website. MeetUp is limited in that, and in many other ways. MeetUp is a huge national (maybe even international) group serving tons of groups similar to ours. Just look at the MeetUp site or plug in an interest...all kinds of possibilities and locations pop up.

There is a lot to be said for MeetUp! I like it..a lot! But, I, too...find it extremely frustrating at times and wish there was a quick fix. I think Flickr would be a very good solution...if that were all we were going after in an additional site! But, knowing how the club has expanded and how it will expand...I know that Flickr will not meet our needs.

I want us to look at a site that will offer all that Flickr does...plus one that will offer good (very very good organization abilities).. We may feel we don't need that today...but...my gut says that we will by mid-year. We need to look at what all is out there...every possibility...and not be overly driven by cost...but, by userability. As I mentioned in an earlier note...we want this to be soooo very user friendly that there will not be anyone to admit that it isn't.

I had mentioned that the Indy Media Artists (led by Loren Elks) has the capabiity of creating this to meet our needs...and there may be some in our own group who can do this too. Tonight I met and talked with one of our members who does have that skill...and, may be willing to help. Once we find this out...who has this ability and willing to volunteer that to the club...we can form a team to look at this more seriously.

I can almost guarantee this will happen...but just when...No promises!

Right now, do your research...not just for Flickr...but a lot of others too.

Thanks for being so interested. Perhaps you'd like to be a part of the team making some of these design decisions.
Connie
user 13681477
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 8
This is an interesting discussion. I've looked into Flicker but wasn't sure about the security of the photos so I chose SmugMug. But as far as the group is concerned - that's a bit different. I would like to be able to find pictures by photographers. I'll be interested to see where this discussion leads.