Indy Meetup Photo Club Message Board Travel - Photo Shoot › Kentucky Horse Farms

Kentucky Horse Farms

A former member
Post #: 21
I have some connections to Kentucky Horse Farms. Many of the famous stud farms (Thoroughbred racing) are located in northern Kentucky, from Louisville to Lexington. Most welcome groups (for a fee). The Kentucky Horse Park (KHP) in Lexington, KY hosts regular equine events throughout the year. They are also open daily to just come in and explore (again for a fee). The KHP boasts over 1000 acres of property. its incredibly scenic!

Anyhow...if there is any interest in something like this, I'd be happy to reach out to my connections and see what we can do. Lexington is only about a 3.5 hour drive from Indy, so it could be done in a day, but a weekend is better. A day trip to the Louisville area is definitely a possibility.

Let me know if there is any interest in something like this. I'll also be sure to bring it up to the Equine Focus Group members.
Carol T
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 62
Amy,

I think there would be at least a handful who would be interested...maybe more. Could you quote a ball park cost...as that could make a difference for some. And, the amount of time you would anticipate we would be spending there...once there.

Also...look at the calendar as I just posted some events today. For something like this we'd want to be careful we're not double booking.

This would be a great experience! Could this, by chance, include any of the areas where they have vet hospitals for horses...where they're pampered like kings???
A former member
Post #: 25
I sure will.

I think if we stayed in the Louisville area, then we'd be able to keep the costs down. I'll put together some numbers, but I'm thinking that a trip to Three Chimneys in Versailles is a must! It is the home of Kentucky Derby & Preakness winner Big Brown! And its a GORGEOUS facility! http://www.threechimn...­ I've contacted them about a visit. :)

I also have a large car that comfortably seats 4 adults with plenty of trunk room for equipment, so if it is just a handful of people, we can all ride together.

I'll do a bit of research and post more here.

Amy
Carol T
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 65
Amy,

This place is fabulous!!! Yes...count me in!!! But...do look at the calendar and be sure you don't schedule on any date I've already got marked...if you can avoid it. If that does present a problem...let me know asap and I'll make some changes on my end.

But...if at all posible, let's try to schedule on an open weekend.

I have a fairly new car that will hold 3 - 4 people too and I'd love to be one of the drivers.

Keep me/us all posted!!!
A former member
Post #: 131
I'd definitely be down for a long day trip and probably an overnighter. Depending on if either Sat/Sun are an option, I can see so many possibilities with an excursion like this. I would likely make it a dual-purpose experience myself if it develops into an overnighter, and could consider making it one anyways as there are plenty of other scenic places to shoot along the way and in Kentucky.

Who knows what fuel prices will be by the time it's scheduled, but I'm sure we'll be paying more.

Thanks for posting info on the national events. I don't expect to commit to any longer trips despite the wealth of information and enjoyment I'm sure they'd provide. It's certainly good to be aware of them- who knows where people will be heading this summer and it just may be convenient to someone, adding to their photographic options and experience.
Carol T
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 66
Dave,

I'm pretty much of the same opinion. I think the possibilities are right there! And, either an overnighter or a long day...I'm ok with either! I'm wanting to investigate these (not just those presented in particular...but these types) and possibly get something somewhat set for "next year". I think it would be super if we could get some type "caravan"...hate that word! And take a trip someplace out of state...even if we did not "register for the specific event"..just being in the "area"...Or, maybe we could have a "best improved" or something person and send that person to something next year (or pay 1/2 their way)...and the rest of us just go along with them as "ma's and pa's"... Just an idea!!! Something worth, to me, thinking about...
A former member
Post #: 28
I'll look into a day trip for us for the spring. It may be easier than planning overnight at this point.

There is also the Rolex Kentucky 3-Day Event which is always the last full weekend in April. www.rk3de.org Saturday (cross country day) is the day to go.

AND, with one child and another on the way, we upgraded to a mini van, aka seating 7!!
A former member
Post #: 164
Good to see the possibility of hitting a major event is still in the works. If we take your minivan, I predict Carol will ask you to bring your child seat for me. I'm still open to an overnighter, if even to catch the local landscape on one of the days.
Carol T
cthomps4
Group Organizer
Mc Cordsville, IN
Post #: 80
Dave, You got it out before I could respond!!!
And, I think that an option of an overnighter would be in order. It may be that some may not want to do that but, I think there would be a lot possibly going on "after hours" even at the horse park that we may not want to miss...IF we left too early to get back home at a decent hours. Plus, that could be a long and tiring day if we got up early to go, then wanted to drive back home the same day. (I'm not quite as young as I was a fewyears back!!!)
A former member
Post #: 24
I organized a trip like this several years ago for a group that I was in. Believe me, one whole day goes a lot faster than you would think! You have a 3 hour drive down, time spent at each farm, time to drive between farms, time to grab a quick lunch (optional, LOL!) and a 3 hr drive home. We visited Jack Noble Stables, Three Chimneys, Gainesborough, and Walnut Hall. A previous 2-day trip included Walmac, Lane's End, Gainesway, Lasma, Keeneland, the Red Mile, and a few others whose names escape me. (Sadly, some of those farms are no longer in operation.) That being said, I'm on for a one-day or two-day trip. Time in Lexington is never a bad thing!!