Indy WordLab Message Board › Share Your Work - October 2012

Share Your Work - October 2012

Ryan B.
user 13793916
Group Organizer
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 6
Greetings, Word Scientists! Sounds like last night was a big hit with the group, so Open Mic Night will DEFINITELY become a regular part of Indy WordLab. As promised, here is the prompt from last night's Meetup. If you were able to attend, please share your work with the group here. If not, give it a shot and share what you come up with! Either way, I'd love to see some more writing and critiquing going on here between Meetups.

So, the prompt: Share a memory from your childhood that was particularly thrilling or terrifying. Write with your senses. Taste, touch, sight, sound, smell. What was it like to be in that moment of pure emotion?
A former member
Post #: 4
I have to admit I wasn't able to come up with anything for this prompt on the night it was given. I promised I would write something on this discussion board and it is already the night before our next word lab and I haven't posted anything. I am just going to pretend I have only 25-30 minutes to write like we usually do on Word Lab nights and go for it. Thanks for viewing.

Feel free to respond, so we can figure out if this is a good forum for commenting on each other's work in between meetups.

The lake water was cold. I could see to the bottom and there were large boulders there as large as my own eight year old body when it was curled up in a ball. It was not my first time to jump off into water. I knew how to swim. But when I hit that water, the
chill that went through my body was so severe I momentarily forgot everything I knew. Was it terrifying? No, it was thrilling. It was the kind of thrilling that helps you to remember every aspect of that point in time, but also the kind of thrilling that convinces you that it can never be repeated, so no need to do it again. I didn't enter the water again during this particular summer vaction, but I knew from experience that those humongous pebbles were a lot deeper than they appeared to be. The remainder of the time we were in on that lake stealing time away from the rest of society, I was content to look over the edge of the sailboat and look the the rocks beneath the surface peering back at me.

Well, my time is up. See you all tomorrow at Word Lab. I may come early and join up with the group of people who are all attempting to write a novel during the month of November. I tend to write essay like material and am not very good at dialogue, but I may at least write every day and see what I come up with.