Steve T., one of our members, is going to teach us how to build a Homemade Solar Oven and afterwards he will teach us how to make an Alcohol Stove out of soda cans.
Materials we each need to bring for the Solar Oven:
- Two cardboard boxes. Steve suggests that we use an inner box that is at least 15 inch x 15 inch, but bigger is better. (He likes to use printer paper boxes or storage boxes) The outer box should be larger than the small box all around, but it doesn't matter how much bigger, as long as there is at least an inch of airspace between the two boxes. Also, keep in mind that it is very easy to adjust the size of a cardboard box by cutting and gluing it.
- One sheet of cardboard to make the lid. This piece must be approximately 2 to 3 inch larger all the way around than the top of the finished cooker (the outer box).
- One small roll of aluminum foil.
- One can of flat-black spray paint (look for the words "non-toxic when dry") or one small jar of black tempera paint. Some people have made their own paint out of soot mixed with wheat paste.
- At least 8 ounces (250 g) of white glue or wheat paste.
- One Reynolds Oven Cooking Bag®. These are available in almost any supermarket, or a sheet of glass to cover boxes.
- a box cutter or scissors that will cut cardboard.
Materials for the Alcohol Stove:
4252 East Mission Bl.
Montclair, CA 91763
The front business is "Tio's Auto Sales"
Bring Your Own Chair
March 9th, 2013
10 am – 4:00 pm
We will have a break for lunch. You can bring your own lunch or there are a McDonalds, a Panda Express, a Little Caesars and a Subway one block away.