addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Inland Empire Preppers Message Board › Food Storage

Food Storage

mike
user 42149422
Diamond Bar, CA
Post #: 1
Hello everyone! We recently started to store beans and rice in 6 gal food grade buckets. Is it necessary to have the food in a bag then placed into the bucket? We are using oxygen absorbers but the next question is how many absorbers are necessary per bucket?
Robert
user 42152122
Menifee, CA
Post #: 1
I believe that it is best to store beans and rice in Mylar bags with o2 Absorber inclosed (Bucket should be food grade) for added protection from critters and the elements, it also helps prevent cross contamination from the bucket. This will help extend the shelf life up to 30 years for most dry foods.
A good place to get your storage supplies is from www.usaemergencysupply.com

If anyone knows of a cheaper distributor please let me know.

Remember the most important item that should be stocked is WATER. You can go 30 days without food but you can only survive 3 days without water.

The rule of thumb on water generally is; 2 quarts of water per day per person.

If anyone has other information please feel free to correct me.
Robert
user 42152122
Menifee, CA
Post #: 2
Sorry I did not answer your last question.
I believe 1 o2 Absorber is sufficient for a 5 gallon buck. I have read of some folks using 2.

I hope this helps!

"Failing to Pre is Prepping to Fail"
mike
user 42149422
Diamond Bar, CA
Post #: 2
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I don't look at this site as much as the APN. Our water situation is not bad. We have a stream nearby. Our treatment plan is to use a UV purifier with batteries charged by solar.
mike
user 42149422
Diamond Bar, CA
Post #: 3
OK folks if you were as perplexed as me about the oxygen absorbers the good people at Honeyville Farms recommend one absorber per gallon of bucket space.