Inland Empire Preppers Message Board › Emergency Medical Supplies

Emergency Medical Supplies

A former member
Post #: 1
I notice a lot of discussion on food preparedness, water supply, protection etc, but I haven't heard a lot on anything medical. Any disaster is going to overwhelm hospitals (if you can even get to them), and render emergency services almost completely useless. Is there anyone teaching how to treat hypothermia, dehydration, allergic reactions, trauma, CPR, or anything. Does everyone have a comprehensive medical kit, and the knowledge of how to use everything in it? I see gun training, but does anyone know what to do if someone gets shot? I think it would be a shame if prepers stored up all the right food, had enough water, had a plan, kept their cool, and then died because they couldn't treat the laceration on their arm properly.
Chris (Black D.
user 3941288
San Diego, CA
Post #: 698
I completely agree with you. Next week I'm teaching a class for another group http://www.meetup.com...­ which will cover suturing and alternative medicines (i.e. using veterinary products on humans). Maybe I can see if the organizer here at Inland Empire would like me to set up a similar class. My biggest problem is locations. I need somebody to host a location.
A former member
Post #: 161
I'd be interested in such a class and might be able to supply a location (my home). I'm in Pedley / Jurupa Valley.
Chris (Black D.
user 3941288
San Diego, CA
Post #: 706
Awesome! How many people and would you prefer a weekday vs a weekend? We can email each other the details.
A former member
Post #: 2
Fantastic. I would not only love to attend, but perhaps can add to the experience. I have extensive experience in field medicine and would love to give any pointers I can. Hopefully we can all learn from each other and become that much more prepared.
Chris (Black D.
user 3941288
San Diego, CA
Post #: 708
That would be great Christopher if you could cover field medicine! I think we have the potential for a very good class.
A former member
Post #: 3
We should get together sometime, or maybe just email each other some ideas about putting together a class. Feel free to email me at brace.yourself.cg@gmail.com.

I look forward to doing this with you, sounds like a lot of fun.
A former member
Post #: 1
That is a great point that some over look. I might recommend three that I have as part of my own medical kit along with basic medical guides. These great as they also show how to improvise when you may not have all the supplies available and they also are written for those with out medical training or very little.

1. SAS Survival Guide( has a lot of emergency medical information)
2. U.S Special Forces Field Medical manual
3. Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West by Gregory L. Tilford
A former member
Post #: 4
Those are three great suggestions, I have the SF Field Medical Manual and its full of tips and instructions. Very useful. But books are not enough for most people. Good medicine is learned hands on, and repeated until you can do it in your sleep. I use the manuals as a refresher for certain injuries, but there is no substitute for actually handling bandages, gauze, tourniquets, splints, litters, needles, etc.

Very good books though. I highly suggest reading at least one of the first two (I myself am going to read the third) to get some background.
A former member
Post #: 162
I can make my home available (in the afternoons of) July 15th or 29th, both are Sundays. I have plenty of parking and a big patio / living room.