addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Inland Empire Preppers Message Board › Primary Threats

Primary Threats

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm new here, and unfortunately have not been able to participate as I would like. I'm a caregiver in Yucaipa, and currently unemployed. Until that changes, my travel will be pretty much limited to walking distance. So, for the time being I lurk a bit, and try to pick up as muc knowledge as I can.

Perhaps I missed a few posts, but I've noticed one point that is being overlooked. If we examine past distasters pragmatically, one fact jumps out; the disaster itself, while definitely the primary threat to life and limb, is not the deciding factor in how bad things actually get. That factor is the authorities, local, state, and Federal.

After a disaster, past events indicate that people (with the exception of the criminal element) usually pick themselves up and organize quickly, helping each other as best they can. In all of the events I can think of where the authorities either helped these efforts or did not get involved, communities rebuilt themselves within a few months to a year or two. On the other hand, where authorities attempted to "restore order" we have a very different result.

Two good examples I can think of are the Rodney King riots, and New Orleans after Katrina. In L.A., neighbors in most areas quickly organized. Looters were repelled. Neighbors, rather than being potential problems, were your best asset. However, the media largely ignored what happened in some other areas, where police and National Guard troops forced business and home owners to evacuate. Those neighborhoods burned, and most of the residents were never able to return. We saw the same thing on a much larger scale in New Orleans. Areas outside of New Orleans recovered quickly, but in parts of the city, officials sent cops (the ones who had not deserted and turned into looters), National Guard, and apparently even military units, out to kick in doors, confiscate weapons, and forcibly relocate people. We all know how that turned out. Note that most people there have never gotten their guns back either, despite a successful lawsuit.

I've seen too many posts (not here, but at several other forums) expressing confidence in the commenter's ability to defend themselves. Get real. Unless you've organized your neighborhood into a paramilitary force (which is illegal, by the way), you are not going to win a firefight with a platoon of soldiers who already have you outgunned, and are one radio call away from delivering heavy ordinance right to your front door. If the officer in charge wants your guns, you will surrender them, or else. If he decides to search your property and confiscate your stores, you won't be able to stop him. If he decides (or has orders) to put you on a transport to a refugee camp, one way or another, you are going.

Even in a TEOTWAWKI event, belief that the government will simply fade away is unrealistic. The civilian government will probably fold up, but it can be taken as a given that the military will not. They will step in as a provisional government in an attempt to prevent total collapse. In which case, everything I just said applies times ten.

Other than trying to hide in plain sight, stores that don't look like stores, weapons that don't look like weapons, I have no clue as to how to prepare for this particular problem. Any ideas?
A former member
Post #: 1
In the area we live in, I don't think there is a real threat. The problem, is if something happens in L.A. or Orange Counties, like a dirty bomb, earthquake, etc. There would be many people passing through to get out of town. On the way through, they would pick clean every supermarket, gas station, and convenience store. I think our main threat is surviving this threat, so be able to hold out for a week or ten days.
A former member
Post #: 2
The scenario you described is actually close to what I was thinking about. Faced with waves of refugees and looters, every city council and county supervisor from Catalina Island to Phoenix will be screaming for State and Federal protection. The response will almost certainly involve forced relocation, mass arrests, and confiscation of civilian arms. Welcome to New Orleans times ten.
A former member
Post #: 828
You've pointed out one of the reasons "bug out bags" are a bad idea. I've seen some 60 - 80 pound back packs put together in other "know it all" groups that are like billboards screaming to be noticed. Any bad guy with half a brain will target you if you're carrying a bug out bag because obviously you have supplies.

My approach. Buried caches, supplies at friends homes, totes that don't look like bug out bags and stuff as much survival training into your head that you can.
Candace
oahspe
Joplin, MO
Post #: 56
You've pointed out one of the reasons "bug out bags" are a bad idea. I've seen some 60 - 80 pound back packs put together in other "know it all" groups that are like billboards screaming to be noticed. Any bad guy with half a brain will target you if you're carrying a bug out bag because obviously you have supplies.

My approach. Buried caches, supplies at friends homes, totes that don't look like bug out bags and stuff as much survival training into your head that you can.

Good points. I was amazed that a company is trying to sell a bugout bag with enough food in it for two people for 20 DAYS. Get real. The food should last you 3 days, in time for you to get to your cache place! Also, light enough that women and children can carry it!

Please write me if looking for a survival retreat in the Midwest - or if you know of someone/a family who would be looking for same. - C