This month, we are featuring a sneak peek of the upcoming GIANT Conference, held June 11-14 in Charlston, SC.
Vancouver's own Dorian Taylor will give us a preview of his #GiantConf presentation, "Dissolving the Redesign."
You can also get 15% off GIANT conference ticket by using promo code TAYLOR.
Here is an abstract of Dorian's presentation:
"Despite advancements in techniques of production and management, the way we conceive how software—and especially the Web—are made, lays an all-too rigid framework for fragile business deals and mediocre outcomes. The way we think and talk about our craft—and the way we permit clients and/or bosses to think about it—not only distorts public understanding of the innate properties of the medium, but that distortion makes it harder to get great clients, do great work, get paid fairly, and not kill ourselves in the process.
The purpose of this talk is to get senior practitioners, PMs, and owners of agencies thinking about how they go about their business, and how they might go about it better. We will:
• Examine software (in general) and the Web (in particular) as an expressive medium, to assemble a bottom-up theory of just what exactly goes on in the business of making it,
• Use that theory to imagine alternative approaches to financing, legal arrangements, organizational structure, and development method,
• While we walk through case studies road-testing aspects of these alternatives, I will demonstrate technical interventions that help make them economically viable."
The second half of the session will provide an opportunity for you to share a problem or project you're working on and get advice and support from the group, or just discuss UX in general.
• 6:00 - Networking starts
• 6:30- 7:15 - Dorian's presentation
• 7:15 - 7:30 - Q&A and feedback for Dorian
• 7:30 - 8:30 - Group critique / UX discussions
• Session will end around 8:30pm
The event will be held at the fabulous Payfirma offices. We are not sure what time the outside doors lock // elevators need the keycard, so try to get there before 6pm. Fraser will hang out in the lobby around 6pm to bring any late comers upstairs.
Fraser's phone number if you are joining later and can't get in:[masked]-4571.
This group is for people in all fields -- IA, UX, IxD, Product Management, Development, Visual Design, Service Design -- creating digital or offline products -- an eclectic mix of practitioners and thinkers from a wide range of fields to share stories, provide insights, and suggest new ways of working.
We are a super x-connected group of talented cross-overs!
If you need visuals to help describe your problem, bring your sketchbook, print-out, or your own tablet or laptop.