Inquisitive Minds Message Board › the New Meetup

the New Meetup

Marion
MarionSD
Somerville, MA
Post #: 5
Quite simply, it sucks. I'm sorry, it just does.

I love to contribute ideas for meetups, and some have become actual events. I even like hosting, but only when I believe we have the makings of a successful event, with lots of interest so we'll have good attendance. If it's just going to be 2-3 people, I'd rather email individual friends.

So this new setup SUCKS. I don't want to worry that every time 2 people say they like an idea of mine, I'll be stuck hosting an event -- whether or not those 2 people actually intend to come, and whether or not anyone else likes the idea. Conversely, when I look at others' ideas, I'll be less inclined to like them if it means I'm committing to join them, and I'm tying up their schedule, even if just one other person comes.

I also believe our organizers know a thing or two about what works and doesn't work, and about scheduling events for good attendance and an enjoyable time. Taking this power out of their hands is just dumb.

Apparently there is a way to avoid this, by changing the settings to make this an organizer-led group. The flipside is, it'll mean we can't propose ideas. I guess we could try to get around that by using the discussions board to propose ideas, or emailing organizers.

Don't know. Just don't want a dumb move by Meetup management to ruin a really good group.
Anita
user 13245707
Holliston, MA
Post #: 1
Hi Marion,

Is this why the "who owns ideas" meetup was taken down? It was a great idea...

I think this new setup is a little more difficult to navigate.

Anita

Jim B
jimsb
Group Organizer
Marlborough, MA
Post #: 11
Anita, I believe the proposal idea wasn't taken down, but ended up deleted due to a software glitch.
I'll be making it a formal Meetup event when I get time on my schedule.

Jim
A former member
Post #: 23
I hate it, too. It complicates everything....
Anita
user 13245707
Holliston, MA
Post #: 2
It is difficult to navigate -- I liked the old set-up better.

Jim, that's great -- I would be happy to help out if needed.

A former member
Post #: 423
Yeah, the new setup is a little weird. But maybe cause it's new?

Automatic meetups resulting from an idea isn't a bad thing, but the guidelines may need tweaking. I think 1) The system should wait until there are 5-6 people. Then people can see who's coming and RSVP accordingly and 2) There should be no pressure to "run" an event once it posts. Someone may know about a great event but not be able to attend themselves.

But I'm talking as a natural organizer who would be inclined to "shepherd" folks anyway. Most people don't function that way, and still others get twitchy if there isn't someone telling them where to go and when because lack of structure is scary. Still, I think it's better than missing an event cause you don't want to go alone.

Just my two cents. biggrin
Evan
user 9484330
Natick, MA
Post #: 20
On the discussion board of another Meetup group, I found this insightful take on this rapidly deteriorating situation:

http://greentechgirl....­
John
user 4649035
Leominster, MA
Post #: 16
I've suggested events for meetups that I personally was unable to attend, but I thought other members of the group might be interested. I suggested these ideas just because I thought that others might not yet know about these events. Some of these ideas became "informal" events w/o an organizer, some were even taken over by an organizer and became actual events. Because this now involves a potential commitment, I won't be able to share this information any more.
Anita
user 13245707
Holliston, MA
Post #: 3
Hi Everyone,

I was thinking that just because meetup has created these new "rules", does this mean that IM cannot decide for itself how things are going to work within the context of the new design? It seems to me that a number of inquisitive minds can probably come up with guidelines for organizing meetups that do not require a full commitment (and make that clear -- that a head count may be taken a couple of days ahead of the date to confirm), or perhaps it may be necessary to make it so that organizers are the only ones that can add meetups, but members can contact them with ideas....

Just thinking. I don't think we all have to take it lying down :)

Anita
A former member
Post #: 24
I think the thing that bothers me the most is that this is such a complete redesign of the site. Simply put, they SHOULD have beta'd it. They could have asked a few really popular groups in a few of the major cities to take a look at a beta page, maybe even play with it a bit, and give Meetup some constructive feedback. Even Facebook gave people a heads-up that they were making major design changes when they redesigned. It took a while to get used to their changes, but they didn't happen in a vacuum!

The most glaring problem--to my mind--is the way they changed the names of things. No more "ideas." Now they are "in the making." That doesn't even make sense! Less is always so much more ... in one word--ideas. You knew exactly what the deal was: someone thinks this might be a fun and/or interesting thing to do. Do you? If you do, "like" it. I agree with John that now people will be less inclined to add their ideas because if they don't have a lot of experience with the machinations of the site, they will think they need to commit to running the event instead of just contributing a possibility and seeing if there is interest. A lot of people don't want to run events. This will be very off-putting for some people.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out since there have been thousands of people outraged not only by these changes but also by the *way* Meetup went about making them. I believe some of these groups will jump ship to bigtent or other group management sites that also happen to be free.