Monday, July 30, 2012
Secrets, Enlightenment, & Happiness
Many of you are wondering, “What is Jordan doing these days?” Others are wondering, “Who the heck is emailing me?” Keep reading for all of these answers, and more.
I do a lot of things these days, both for the sake of improving the world and for my own personal enjoyment, but I want to focus on sharing three things with you today. Talking about some of my fun activities like male modeling or slamming exotic fruits on deserted beaches in Brazil might seem like bragging (whoops), and talking about the nuances of my meditation practice might bore you. Ergo I’ve deemed the following three items either tantalizing to you or beneficial to me for you to know about.
1. I’m working on a SUPER SECRET project.
2. I’m helping throw a purely online Enlightenment Conference featuring famous people like Deepak Chopra and Father Thomas Keating. It starts on Tuesday!
3. I write for the site DailyHap, and collect that writing on my personal site jordanmallen.com
The Secret Project
My plan is to dribble out hints about this one to whet your collective appetites, build mystique, and pave the way for a spectacular revelation. The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley, but I whether I bring joy or pain I at least intend entertain you.
The Enlightenment Conference
Think of this as Big Talk, grown up. We got a ton of well-known spiritual teachers, academics and philosophers from a variety of religious traditions / communities to come together and talk about Enlightenment and God. (Not the 18th Century Age of Enlightenment, although that might come up.) Anyone from around the world can call into an online conference room (using Skype, a mobile phone, etc.), listen to the conference sessions (8 per week for three weeks), ask questions, and participate in the discussions afterwards. I recommend checking it out: (http://www.theenlightenmentconference.com)
I personally coordinate volunteers. It’s awesome; I’m working with people from the likes of the Netherlands, South Africa, Malaysia, Spain, India, Israel, all over the USA, to make everything smooth, downloadable, and easily interactive. This online Conference also why my Facebook friends have seen a ridiculous number of spiritually oriented quotes being posted on my wall.
Writing for DailyHap and Jordanmallen.com
My sister Lyssa started a site to help build a community of practice around happiness. There’s a simple task you can do everyday combined with an article. Really good stuff. I’ve written a couple of articles that—surprise!—mostly have to do with spirituality or music. My newly created personal site also contains all of these articles. The most recent one, “You’ll Never Have Lasting Happiness Unless You Read This Article,” can be seen here.
Where does this leave you, my friend (or someone on my gmail contact list)? It leaves you with three simple actions:
1. Stay on this mailing list and be the first to know about The Secret Project (This is easy because it’s actually a non-action).
2. Check out the Enlightenment Conference and if you want to be a part of it either (a) register for $95, (b) volunteer with me to get in free, or (c) apply for a scholarship.
3. Try out DailyHap, plus my site, and pass on the articles you like (ahem the ones I wrote should be at the top of your list)
It’s a longstanding tradition of mine to close a mass email with a few “Discussion Questions.” Feel free to ponder them on your own, or email me back your thoughts.
1. Is it unethical to email an unabashedly self-promoting and arguably pompous email to everyone on your gmail contact list? What if this includes people you may have only emailed once?
2. What is of ultimate concern in your life?
3. Do you seek happiness? How?
It’s a pleasure communicating with you all.
You can Unsubscribe Here