Hey there young families!
We started this group to achieve four goals:
1) To make new like-minded friends with other couples with young children
2) To meet regularly with other couples and their kids for social and active events.
3) To meet occasionally for guys or ladies activities without the kids.
4) To promote inter-group baby-sitting/child-minding to allow couples to get some free time together without costly babysitters.
If this sounds like what you are interested in and answered “Count me in” to ALL of the above, then read on!
About us: We’re Doug & Hitomi, and we have a small boy - Lenny (18 month old); we’re young working parents from the UK/Japan and have been in Australia for 5 years but recently moved up to the Central Coast. We love Australia, but realise the absence of family around does make things hard at times.
About the group: The couples + toddlers meetups will be scheduled for roughly every 4 weekends, probably mornings, meeting in child friendly places or doing activities where toddlers are welcome! We’ll do things like cycling, walking, BBQs, coffees at play-parks etc. After a while once the group has been established we’ll hopefully start scheduling the occasional guys and ladies events - most likely in the evenings. I envisage as the group 'matures' (as our kids grow up) we'll naturally evolve into a couples with kids group.
NOTE - This is not a Mothers Group! Dads are expected to equally come along and be a part of the group.
We hope that strong lasting friends will form naturally from the group. For continuity we’ll keep the group size small and will remove inactive group members that don’t come along. The ultimate goal is to build close family friends that we can trust to share baby-sitting/child minding duties (one parent comes over to allow the couple some time-off, without the need for costly baby-sitters).
All our current friends with kids talk about this but never actually do it – So be realistic and honest - if you are not prepared to do this then please state this upfront!
- This group is specifically targeting young parents with babies/toddlers – as a guide, your child/ren should be no older than 4.
- The group also targets couples without a large family support network in the Central Coast region (the utopian idea of the group is that the group itself become the support you don’t have close by), hence welcoming international families such as ourselves!
- Hitomi and I live in the Terrigal region, so meetups are likely to be in this area to start with but we are open to suggestions within reason.
- You should be committed to participating in the group meetups – please don’t just join and then we don’t hear from you again! Inactive members will be removed to make way for members on the waiting list - wanting to join in.
Also – Are you keen to be involved? – We encourage active members to become organisers (just ask for privileges) then you can suggest and host events also!
What are you waiting for… sign-up now!