Tomorrow, Saturday, October 6th, at 6 p.m., Dwolla is teaming up with Reddit’s Internet 2012 bus tour and the Des Moines Register to flip the traditional caucuses on their head. Instead of filling gyms and town halls with democrats or republicans, we are gathering citizens who are looking to build a better Iowa on the Locust Street Bridge in downtown Des Moines from 6pm-9pm. And because we’re focused on creating a light-hearted and bipartisan atmosphere, it won’t matter if you entered from the left or right side of the river, just that you’re willing to meet in the middle and participate in open and honest discourse.
We’re looking for 15 respectful, thoughtful, and rational Iowans to share their stories, concerns, or ideas with the public. Have questions or concerns over financial aid? Tell us. Want to re-address ethanol subsidies? Tell us. We’ll work with you to provide the best conversation your idea deserves, and give you the stage to share your voice with Iowans and Internet citizens alike. Ten of these speakers will be pre-selected by organizers and community leaders, with five slots waiting to be filled on the bridge.
What will be at the Uncaucus?
· Livestream provided by The Des Moines Register at IowaInternetUncaucus.org
· National media correspondents brought to us through the reddit Internet 2012 bus tour
· Real-time voting and interaction with Catchwind
· Professional production by Bow and Arrow
· Coverage by Catchfire
· Awesome T-shirt designs by 87 Central
· Photography by Joe Crimmings
· Interactive online chat rooms with Google Hangouts to engage Iowans all over the state
We’ll be compiling all of the texts, conversations, audio, visual, etc., into a report that will be disseminated to government officials. In doing so, we hope to:
1. Set a new expectation for civil discourse
2. Key-in our representatives to the issues that matter most to Iowans
3. Create a replicable event and format to hand off to other states that want to try this out as well
Come speak, be heard, and make your mark.
The Dwolla Team