Iowa Entrepreneurs' Coalition Message Board New Iowa Entrepreneurs' Coalition News and Member Forum › NIEC Member Suzanne Hull Featured in - You should get to know ...

NIEC Member Suzanne Hull Featured in - You should get to know ...

Kent S.
NewIowa
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 212
Owner, Contemporary Business Solutions, Pleasant Hill

Job description: I work primarily with small-business owners and entrepreneurs to save them time and money by working on a virtual, as-needed basis, offering services in event planning, business support, social media 101, translation and basic Web site development.

Background: I lived in Germany for a few years after studying international business and economics at Wartburg College. When I moved back to Iowa, I worked at the Greater Des Moines Partnership and then Hy-Line International before I was laid off in February 2009.

Notable achievements: Most people in Des Moines know me as "Unemployed in Des Moines" (www.unemployedin desmoines.com, @unemployedindsm). In December, my networking group and I were featured on the national evening news for the work I've done in the unemployed community. It meant a lot to me to have these efforts recognized on a national stage. I was also the 1992 national dance champion.

Why I do what I do: Having been laid off twice in 2009, I saw a huge disconnect between the wants of employers and employees. Employers have work that needs to be done, but aren't in a position to hire permanent employees. Employees want permanent positions. Contemporary Business Solutions works with organizations that have work that needs to be done, whether it's a one-time or ongoing project. I realize that for some entrepreneurs it's a big step hiring a permanent employee; that's why I work on a contract basis when my services are needed.

What I do to get away from work: Read, work out, cook, travel, practice speaking the German language.

How I give back to the community: Unemployed in Des Moines, www. unemployedindesmoines.com, @unemployedindsm.

Words to live by: "You can only control how hard you work." - Sally Hogshead, Radical Careering.

Best business book I've read lately: "Tribes" by Seth Godin last summer. Though I've read several business books since then, his book shook me out of my brain-dead "sheepwalker" mentality and changed how I view myself.

One thing I would change about the Des Moines area: Create an east-west bike trail. I live in Pleasant Hill and when I was working in West Des Moines I would have loved to have ridden my bike to work. There are a few east-west trails, but nothing substantial yet. There's room for improvement.

My leadership philosophy: Give without the expectation of anything in return. This was inspired by an amazing book I read called the "Go-Giver" by Bob Burg and John David Mann.

If you want to contact me: E-mail suzanne@contemporary-business-solutions.­com, Twitter @contemp business, visit www.contemporary- business-solutions.com, or call me at (515) 250-6366.

Do you know someone we should get to know? E-mail Karen Mracek at kmracek@dmreg.com.