OpenHack + Open Source Hardware meetup Message Board › Planning National Day of Civic Hacking

Planning National Day of Civic Hacking

Benjamin O.
benjaminoakes
Iowa City, IA
Post #: 1
A quick summary for people who haven't been a part of the conversation yet: we're considering having the next OpenHack Iowa City meetup be a part of the National Day of Civic Hacking. We've had some initial discussion about what we might do, and who will be involved. It would be June 1st and/or 2nd.

Let's continue the discussion!

Ben
Sheila S.
user 10623209
Iowa City, IA
I've registered our event with the national organization, so we'll be listed as one of two events happening that weekend in Iowa, and one of many across the country.
Rachel Dailey S.
rastewar
Iowa City, IA
I've emailed the IC Farmer's Market contact to see whether they'd be interested in our help with anything regarding vendor data, etc. I also asked our MIS dept about providing a little financial support toward refreshments that weekend and they are amenable.

Rachel
A former member
The Iowa Geographic Information Council is working on a NDCH idea for mapping the locations of public food gardens (like church and school gardens) and food pantries. This is primarily people in the Ames/Des Moines area, but others from around the state may participate. There are several IGIC members locally that you may want to meet up with, especially if you want to have a mapping component in your project and need GIS data. Please let me know if you need help with geospatial stuff.

Jim G
Sheila S.
user 10623209
Iowa City, IA
Post #: 2
I've signed us up to receive a "hack box" that will include posters, a banner, and stickers.

Here's some press from the KC event: http://www.siliconpra...­

Perhaps we'd like to put out a press release as well? Anyone want to lead on that?

Also, now is the time to be hanging flyers/posters and sending emails to everyone we know. Is there a meeting schedule to finalize some of these details?
Benjamin O.
benjaminoakes
Iowa City, IA
Post #: 2
Hi all,

Kristof and I are going to be discussing the Animal Center project at lunchtime today. We're primarily going to focus on what it is that we're going to build.

Right now, I'm still thinking we meet at the normal OpenHack time on Sunday (1-4pm). I've been thinking it would be nice to do Saturday as well, but I'm not sure how the project would be organized without someone very familiar with the goals and code. Unfortunately, I don't think I can do Saturday. But we can still get a lot done on Sunday and outside the event. :)

Ben