October 9, 2010 · 12:30 PM
Our shop will be open from 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM (or later if you want to stay longer) to start your choice of two projects. Bring your own project and materials if you are able to work without too much assistance.
We have these projects in mind, and materials on hand.
1. A basic cabinet liner box of pre-finished maple ply. You will learn how to cut out the parts, apply veneer edging with an iron, and assemble. If there is time we will do a rough slab door to demonstrate how European hinges work. If you do this project you can look forward to learning in the next meet up how to make a recessed panel door with a router, and hang it, and how to add the other finish cladding pieces. This will be a small shallow cabinet suitable for hanging on a wall.
2. A serving tray that uses a slick band saw trick to cut apart a board and re-glue it to produce a hollow center.
3. If we have enough people here to lead additional projects, we might repeat the cutting boards, the computer stand, or the live edge slab projects.
4. If you have a project in process we encourage you to plan on completing it.
5. If you are not ready for a project we will be teaching you the basics of the machinery, or you may simply observe.
For new members- Lynn & John will give a short introduction, discuss safety requirements, assist with paperwork (waivers of liability) & give a tour of the shop.
We will provide small food & refreshments.
At the end we will clean up, and finish with socializing till?
We look forward to fun in the shop!