addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

JavaScript Israel Message Board › Why another Javascript meetup?

Why another Javascript meetup?

This message board is read-only.

Ron G.
ripper234
Tel Aviv-Yafo, IL
Post #: 3
What's wrong with http://www.jstlv.org/...­ ?
Shai R.
shairez
Group Organizer
Tel Aviv-Yafo, IL
Post #: 2
Nothing wrong, I love JSTLV, I think they are great! and we should have more groups like that.

I also believe that there is a place for devs inside and outside of Tel Aviv (North / South / East), and that it'll be great to have more JS groups so that us developers will have more meetups and events to choose from, like we have in the Startup world where there are more than 15 groups and you have a great deal of diversity and reach.
The more the merrier! :)
Eli M.
user 7375243
Kfar Saba, IL
Post #: 1
JSTLV is not the only one; Here in our tiny country, we have so many JS groups, either in meetup.com or outside.

Here is what I wrote in the message board of Node.js Israel:
--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­-----------
Congratulations for the new group!

For many years, I've believed that JavaScript was the right language to use in both sides - browser and server. I thought so, even when Java Applets and Flash dominated the browser side, and nobody used JS in the server side. I even led a project to develop a JS module for Apache.

My vision has been finally realized, and JS took both sides. On the way, it killed Java Applets and Flash on the browser side, and Node.js became one of the leading platforms for server-side development.

Unfortunately, now we have the opposite problem: too many people and groups. Here in our tiny country, we have so many JS groups. And even groups that are not JS groups, have many lectures and hands-on about Node.js. I heard so many lectures about Node.js, in groups like GDG (of Google), IL-techtalks, etc.

I call you: Javascripters of the world - unite!
(or at least Javascripters of Israel...).

Let's start with JSTLV: there is no reason to have both groups. I see lecturers of JSTLV subscribed to this group too. It's very kind and generous of Empeeric to donate their roof for the meetups of JSTLV, but it's not a serious place to have meetings, especially in the winter.

Let's unite the groups: JSTLV will give up its location (Microsoft is a much better place, and now Google has also a great place for meetups), and NodeJS Israel will give up its name. No organizer should give up, because a meetup can be led by two or more organizers.
Eli M.
user 7375243
Kfar Saba, IL
Regarding the location:

I agree that JSTLV should be more open about that; It was very kind and generous of Empeeric to donate their roof for the meetups, but these days, when Google and Microsoft beg to host meetups in much better locations for free, there is no reason to continue to have them in a rainy, cold and noisy roof, where the parking is so problematic. And if you move the meetups to Google/Microsoft, you can also meet in far locations, as you wrote - North, South, Jerusalem (as long as you have a critical mass for that).

However, there is only one reason why the meetups continue to be in the roof: nobody suggested another location!

So let's unite, you will give up this group, JSTLV will give up their location and will add you to the organizers, the meetups will move to a better location in the center (other than a roof), and if you want to have a meetup in the South/North - go for it! As one of the organizers of JSTLV (after the merger), you will have the mandate!
Shai R.
shairez
Group Organizer
Tel Aviv-Yafo, IL
Thanks Eli for the long and thoughtful comment.

As regards to the place, I agree, before I opened up this group I found 3 potential places (Google included) to make sure we'll have a place to host the meetups.

Just wanted to ask you, why do you believe it is a problem that we have multiple Javascript groups?
Eli M.
user 7375243
Kfar Saba, IL
Because of the critical mass.
While it's OK to have more than 1 JS group in the Silicon-Valley, Israel is too small for this.
You can even succeed to have 2-3 successful meetings, but then it will die slowly.
Or the other groups will die.

In addition, there will be overlapping lectures in the various groups.
Some people will not come (because they already heard these lectures in one of the other groups), and others will come and later regret for that.
And if each group tries to have unique lectures, the subjects will end quickly.
Or the level will go down.

We love to go directly from one edge to the opposite edge: It was only one year ago, when there was not even *ONE* JS group in Israel (which was very bad), and now there is no week without a new JS group (which is very bad too).

I'm sure that you have the energy and power to contribute to the JS scene in Israel and to promote it, I just think it will be better within the existing frameworks.

Let's try to unite all the good powers. There is a space for more than one organizer in JSTLV, and as I wrote - if you believe that there is a critical mass for meetups in the North/South/Jerualem, go for it!

I believe that the people behind JSTLV are open to new thoughts and to add new organizers (in addition to Refael who does a great job), but if this is not the case - let me know and I'll try to convince them.
Shai R.
shairez
Group Organizer
Tel Aviv-Yafo, IL
Post #: 4
I respect your opinion, but I disagree, and I'll explain why:

• Israel is not too small

Javascript is a growing ecosystem and a community, and I believe that in the future we'll see more JS groups, lecturers, and developers. Today we are hundreds, next year we'll be thousands and more.
    It'll be great because we'll have a lot to choose from and we'll meet at faster pace, meaning we'll learn and share knowledge much faster.

I think we'll never have one critical mass of one group around this language, or any other subject, because that is just the nature of things. It's the same reason that we have several MVC frameworks, and several schools and universities at the same city, it usually a good thing because it makes us move things faster and for the better. It's like the difference between subversion and GIT. :)

Also, I don't see (and I would like to) that many JS groups, for example, the node.js group is not another generic JS group, it is a specific group for node.js. The group on HTML5 is a group also about js but everything related to HTML5 (new standards etc...).
    But even if we had several groups on the same subject (node / backbone / HTML5), I really believe it's a good idea, because the frequency of the meetups is still too low in my opinion, and I'm not very keen on idea of concentration, I believe it slows us down, but that's just my opinion.

• Most groups will continue to live

As an entrepreneur, I'm registered to 10 different Startup related groups (and there are a lot more), and I really love it because I'm exposed to so much good lectures and information, and I can always find something that fits in my busy week schedule. There are groups who arrange meetups once a month or 2 months, and there are groups who arrange every week. But they are continuing to do so, and for quite sometime now.

Only inactive groups die, and that's natural and understandable, (the same goes for this group if it'll be inactive for a long period).

• Overlapping lectures are a good thing

because there are always newcomers and there will be always room for another backbone/angular/node/meteor/ember/whate­ver intro, or several meetups about JS basics etc. And you can always judge a meetup by how many people are interested in the topics before you book it.

• Final note

In my opinion:
    More groups == more meetups == more to choose from == more interesting == faster learning == stronger & smarter community.

As I said, I love JSTLV and I think they've arranged some great meetups with interesting topics and I'm sure they will continue to do so. I will surely continue to come to their meetups that interest me and contribute as much as I can, and my personal opinion is that it's not my job or interest to tell anyone how to do their thing.

It's not a competition, it's a diversity and that's why I will warmly welcome and encourage anyone who will open up Javascript group #2 and #3 etc... because it will give us developers more reasons to meet, learn and to share knowledge. We are all friends, and as friends, one time we meet at your place, and other times we meet at mine... that's how I think of it.

The good thing is that everyone have a free choice, I don't force these meetups on anyone, just wanted to make more people happy and not to bug the existing organizers too much... :)

But that is just my opinion, I know not everyone will always agree with it.

Alexander M.
user 46598752
Ramat Gan, IL
Shai everything you said is right. But I think all these issues could be solved simply by adding more organizers to one group. Because in this case the knowledge base will be persisted in one place and which is good. It means single entry point to everything. Organizers is something different. More them eventually leads to more meetups. How many times a meetup was canceled due to some problems or lack of time of an organizer. What is even better these people could be from other regions of our country and they could arrange a meetup in their own city (North, South) at exactly same time while others will have it in Tel Aviv. All these meetups will be created under the same meetup group, on the same base if you want. "Divide and conquer" is good and right course of actions for most cases but sometimes the union is much better.
Shai R.
shairez
Group Organizer
Tel Aviv-Yafo, IL
Post #: 5
Hi Alex, thanks for the response, again, I respect your point of view, but it's not mine, I'm still not convinced there is anything wrong in opening a group with a wider location context and slightly different format, at the end of the day, you can join 10 groups because this site is based mainly on email notifications, and for me it's not a hassle. But that's me :)