I agree with Tony. I'll add:
1) Enable the option to actively moderate all new subscribers:
2) If available, crank up the number of days that new users have to wait before they can post without moderation. LinkedIn and some other forums have this option, so I hope Meetup does, too.
3) If Meetup.com has a "Jobs" option for this group:
a) Enable it.
b) Tell all current members that they are welcome to post jobs, but
ONLY to the jobs section, and NEVER to the discussions area, PERIOD.
c) Update the welcome page and email so that all newcomers are welcome to post jobs, but ONLY to the jobs section, PERIOD.
4) Require permanent moderation of any individuals that email jobs or off-topic posts. BAN attempted repeat offenders.
5) Remove all job postings from the discussions area on the Meetup.com website. Otherwise posting is still benefiting the sender, even if they are thrown off.
If Meetup doesn't have the options I've listed above, then I consider
it the wrong tool for managing this kind of community.
announcements. If a recruiter is willing to make the attempt to come
out and sit through a meeting, I don't mind job announcements.
-My 2 bits.
From: Tony Collen <[address removed]>
To: [address removed]
Sent: Saturday, October 5,[masked]:07 PM
Subject: Re: [jsmn] [JOB] Globant is looking for a Web UI Developer in Minneapolis, MN!
Over at Ruby.MN we:
- Moderate group signups, with a question asking if they are a recruiter
- Moderate first-time posters. This usually prevents "hit and run" job postings by technicall recruiters.
If the job description doesn't involve Ruby, we'll usually nuke the message and remove the person from the list. It's worked out quite well, I think, and I've only had to yell at a couple people.
I also usually encourage people who are hiring to show up at the meetings and actually network with the local ruby community.
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY
", your message will be sent to everyone
on this mailing list ([address removed])
To learn more about Tony Collen, visit his/her member profile
To report abuse or block this person, please click here
Set my mailing list to email me As they are sent
| In one daily email
| Don't send me mailing list messages
Meetup, POB 4668 #37895 NY NY USA 10163 | [address removed]