Come join the Jax Beach Friday Drum Circle at 18th Ave North on the beach in Jax Beach. Starts on the first Friday of April (4/5/13) at 5:30 PM and continues every Friday all summer long. No Experience Necessary. Please register now.
Starting this spring we will groove every (dry) Friday all summer long. Our goal is to create an opportunity for people who love music, surf and sand to come together, a fun place for all to share their musical spirit.
Blending percussion, strings and maybe some woodwinds and dance, all are welcomed to come, share and enjoy.
Music is gift. Please bring extra instruments (drums, bells, shakers) to share (or to sell if you wish) so that we may grow the group. Like a potluck dinner, the drum circle gathering is musical soup that is created by the flavors of all who contribute. The rhythms we each contribute to the circle shall lead the way. We drum and dance together while sharing positive flowing energy to last throughout the week.
Drum Circle Etiquette Guidelines
1. Please do not touch someone's instrument without asking permission.
2. Instruments placed in the middle of the circle are offered for the community to play.
3. Remove all hand and wrist jewelry to prevent instrument damage when playing somebody else’s instrument.
4. Always listen for the pulse of the rhythm, feel the groove, and support it, do not try to dominate it.
5. Listening to each other in the key to communication.
6. When in doubt, keep it simple. Use the heartbeat to anchor the groove.
7. If you are a beginner, do not play cowbell, clave, or loud shakers. These instruments need specific rhythms with perfect timing.
8. If you solo, share the solo space, give others a chance while you take turns playing the supportive accompaniment.
9. Let there be space in the music, allowing room to communicate.
10. Do not intentionally change the rhythm, or tempo, this may happen naturally, as a group.
11. Be aware of your body positioning which can block the view, sound and energy.
12. Be aware of your playing volume.
13. If you choose to smoke please outside the circle, and downwind.
14. The inner circle is for the dancers.
15. If you choose to drink please do so inconspicuously.
18. If there is a bonfire, keep a safe distance from the fire, and be aware of the fire keepers' path.
19. Most of all... smile, enjoy, stay positive, and feel the groove. In our little community drum circle, we are all teachers, and we are all students.