Jacksonville Feral Cat Rescue Message Board Trapping Tips and Advice › Trapping an injured Feral Cat

Trapping an injured Feral Cat

David
user 10232554
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 2
There are many homeless cats that I am feeding daily in the neighborhood but there is one I am truly concerned about. I call him "BUDDY", white with orange spots. Buddy has an injured right eye what looks to be like from possibly a cat fight. I have a Feral Kill Free Trap that I have had about 3 weeks now from the facility on Norwood Ave. There is a kitten in the neighborhood that I leave the garage door slightly open for so she can get in and out. There is kitten food dry and canned and she's made herself a bed on a car cover on top of one of my show cars. Occasionally, she spends the entire night in there, I believe she is very scared of other creatures in the neighborhood. She has 2 scars on her shoulder blades/back from what I can only imagine. All the other cats, I leave food both dry and canned and water for on the patio out back. While I have set the trap on the patio for Buddy many times and have caught other cats in it, I've yet to be able to catch Buddy. I only actually see him and lil "JERI" (my garage kitten) maybe every other day. Today, I was able to pet and feed Jeri and I came the closest I've ever been to Buddy laying under a neighbors truck. I took him some food and fed him where he was lying and I was about 3 feet away from him and for the first time, he did not run from me. I truly believe he knows he is injured and that he needs help which may be why he let me finally get close. His eye really looks bad (very black and infected right under the eye, swollen and discharge) and I want to help him before his eye may become permanently damaged. I've spoken to the animal clinic on Norwood Ave. and been quoted a price including if surgery is needed. Now I just have to catch him, take him to get it fixed and bring him back to be released in the neighborhood. I DO NOT want to call anyone as I want him to stay a neighborhood Feral cat and I'll continue to feed him. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated?
Tammy K.
user 10527776
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 14
Sometimes they do know they are injured and want help. I've had several injured ferals I've had to catch, some got better, some didn't make it. If he allows you to get close or you see him, set your trap. Put food in the trap and then he'll go in after the food. Try and keep the other "non-target" cats away. Set the trap in front of him or at least where he can see it because when they are injured, they don't get to eat as easily as a healthy cat, so he'll probably be hungry. This is how I was able to catch my injured ferals and hopefully it works for you. The only other option you have is to try and befriend him enough to get him into a trap before he gets worse.
Andrea W.
aweisbe
Group Organizer
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 29
I think he is learning to trust you and it just may be a matter of time until he lets you get close enough to touch him.

Some cats are just wise to traps and you will not be able to trap them. You may need to scruff him and put him into a cat carrier, so keep one handy, as well as some gloves.

You may also want to try to trap at night, or at dusk, as this is usually when they start to become active. If he is not feeling well, he may not be that attracted to food, so make sure you are using something really stinky like tuna.

You can also try some catnip and see if he likes it. If he responds and starts rolling around, you may be able to grab him and get him into a cat carrier or trap him with catnip as bait.

And there are always nets that can be used, but you have to practice with those as they can be bulky and hard to use.

Keep us updated as to how Buddy is doing. Let us know if you want some help!
Andrea W.
aweisbe
Group Organizer
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 30
Oh, and another thing you may want to try meanwhile...

If his eye looks infected, see if you can get some antibiotics like Clavamox and put it into his food. That way at least his immune system will get some help trying to fight the infection.
David
user 10232554
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 5
Thanks all. Problem is, I never know when I am going to see him. I walked around his usual hang out spots many times up until about 11pm last night and I never saw him. Walked this morning and again, have not seen him yet. I believe about all I can do because of this is to try and get close to him when I see him which is not often. I will keep trying!
David
user 10232554
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 6
Beginning to worry. Still have not seen Buddy in over 2 days. Very unusual for him. He normally comes around for some food by now!
David
user 10232554
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 7
Good news. Found Buddy and he is alive. Fed him some food and put some pain killer/antibiotic we had left over from the ER with one of my cats. I have 2 doses left. He ate 2 cans of food, seemed very hungry. I was able to get right up to him and although he was looking at the ground and hissing very softly, I most likely could have touched him although I may have been scratched or bitten. Hope to catch him soon!
David
user 10232554
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 8
Fed Buddy again this morning and found out some interesting news. Go to Colonies for details....
David
user 10232554
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 10
I was able to feed Buddy yesterday (Sunday morning) at a neighbor's r or. I sat and talked to him at least an hour. I witnessed something that really made me sad and I think verified my belief that he knows of his injury. When I was leaving him yesterday, I noticed on of the "bully cats" from the neighborhood approaching where Buddy was and the uneaten food I had left him. I stood and watched as Buddy let this cat eat his food no more then 3 feet away from him without him doing anything about it. I was told that Buddy used to be a "neighborhood Bully" so I assume due to his injury, he knows that he cannot get in any cat fights (nor would I let any cats fight if I am around) or his injury could be very serious and permanent. To me, this means his pride and dignity have been taken from him.

Today, (Monday morning) I found Buddy on my patio in his favorite chair. I fed him and talked with him for a while. He is allowing me to come within about 3 feet of him, however, when I reach my hand out to him, he sits up and hisses. I put on a pair of gloves with a thick sweatshirt and took an animal carrier out with me. When I reached out to him, he "really stood up and seemed very violent!" I am going to set the trap just before sun up tomorrow and try to catch him that way. I am afraid that if I am unsuccessful in my one true attempt to catch him, I will lose all of the trust I have taken so much time to build up. His eye looks incredibly bad to the point that I am not sure what a Vet can do other then treat it with antibiotics and eye creams. In that case, once he is released back to me, how would I be able to give him the care he needs to fully re-cover?

I've come to care very much for Buddy's wellbeing and I've told the neighborhood that if any animal control people were to inquire about him, he belongs to me! Wish me luck and I "pray" this story has a happy ending!
Andrea W.
aweisbe
Group Organizer
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 41
Try a trap to catch Buddy. If you don't have a trap, contact us and we will see about lending you one.

Don't worry if he goes into the trap and does not trip it or gets spooked and runs out. If he is hungry, he will enter it again. I have seen many cases where the same cat is trapped over and over, especially with the gravity door traps (TruCatch) which are so quiet, some cats do not even know they have been trapped.

As soon as you do trap him, put a sheet or blanket over the trap so that he calms down -- it works like magic.

After you take him to the vet (assuming you trap him) try keeping him inside your house in a dog cage if you have one, or a large cat carrier. Let him get acclimated to you for a couple of days so he understands you are trying to help him.

I think you have come a long way with him since he lets you sit close to him and talk with him. It is only a matter of time before he lets you pet him!

Let us know if we can help.