JaxPHP / JaxWeb Message Board › so what is Yii?

so what is Yii?

imehesz
imehesz
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 33
hello,

at the last meetup we were talking about different PHP frameworks and here is a new "kid" on the block called Yii.

http://www.yiiframewo...­

"Yes, it is Yii -- a high-performance component-based PHP framework best for developing large-scale Web applications. Yii comes with a full stack of features, including MVC, DAO/ActiveRecord, I18N/L10N, caching, jQuery-based AJAX support, authentication and role-based access control, scaffolding, input validation, widgets, events, theming, Web services, and so on. Written in strict OOP, Yii is easy to use and is extremely flexible and extensible."

We chose this framework at my company because it's super-easy to learn, you don't need PHP 5.2.9 to run it and it keeps everything OOP, and the community is very supportive.

It is the highest ranked framework of all the PHP frameworks out there. Pretty impressive: http://www.phpframewo...­

--iM
Eric N.
user 4016762
Group Organizer
Orange Park, FL
Post #: 43
Just got around to looking at this. People seem excited about it.

But many positive comments and blog posts read like "I used Cake, then Zend, then Prado, but some of them slow things down, and although I'm dreading the learning curve, this one looks cool..."

So here's a general question: assuming you already know how to patch together Html/CSS/PHP/MySQL/JavaScript, is there a payback period for the framework learning curve?

Yes, we all know people who are in a long-term relationship with one framework or CMS, but that's like a marriage, they can't be objective about the return on their investment. What about people who've learned to use several different ones? Does it keep paying off, or are they just obsessively looking for the right one?
imehesz
imehesz
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 37
hello,

The only (PHP) framework that I chose myself to learn was CakePHP in 2006-2007. Fortunately or unfortunately I had to work with ZendFramework in 2008 (and the Prototype JS lib) and now in 2009 I started using Yii (with the built-in jQuery support). I also played with Rails in '05 - but that's a different story :)

Out of these 3 frameworks Yii was the only one that didn't force me to sit down and write the "blog" application, and we launched a site within 2 months (working on 2 more right now).

I already had experience with the MVC structure so maybe that's why it seemed so much easier, but I have a colleague who haven't really used MVC frameworks before and he really enjoys working with it too.

--iM

ps: I know Drupal, Joomla and WordPress considered to be frameworks to some people, but I can see the difference :)
Eric N.
user 4016762
Group Organizer
Orange Park, FL
Post #: 45
OOP and MVC are TLA's* I'm learning to like. Maybe I could learn to like Yii (a TLA in disguise**).

I'm not sure how I feel about JQuery, but I'll need to explore that sooner or later anyway.

Anyone else with serial framework experiences to share?

* Three-Letter Acronyms
** "The name Yii (pronounced as Yee or [ji:]) stands for easy, efficient and extensible." http://www.yiiframewo...­
imehesz
imehesz
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 40
hello,

The long anticipated Yii Framework 1.1 alpha is out.

If you haven't tried this system, maybe it's time :)

http://www.yiiframewo...­

--iM
A former member
Post #: 1
Hey I know I'm reviving an old thread here but I'm just interested to know if you've tried CodeIgniter and if so, how would you compare CodeIgniter and Yii.

I have experience with CodeIgniter and really love it but sometimes I get frustrated by it's not so object oriented ways...

Thanks,
-Ben Edmunds
ben.edmunds@gmail.com
@benedmunds
Eric N.
user 4016762
Group Organizer
Orange Park, FL
Post #: 54
It took me a few minutes to parse the ranking page. Codeigniter is on the top of the "hot" list, but then if you scroll down Yii has the highest "ranking".

Now they've made me crazy, and it gets worse. So don't feel you need to keep reading.

First, "hot" is just the wrong word. They really mean number of people who registered an opinion. By that measure, Windows XP is the "hottest" OS out there.

Second, "ranking" is also the wrong word. The really mean the average "rating" among the people who had an opinion. In standard English, they've "ranked" them by their average "rating".

But they obviously weren't rated by the same people, or even the same number of people. So Yii got an average of about 4.7 stars from 47 people for a total of 221 stars. Codeigniter got an average 4.33 stars from 69 people for a total of 299 stars. That's more stars.

Back to the OS analogy: anyone who hated XP and moved to a Mac or Linux is likely to validate their choice with a high rating. But many more people have an opinion about XP.

This is just data, not information. It's whatever is the opposite of information.

That's all. Now I need more coffee.
A former member
Post #: 58
I think imehesz needs to give a meetup on Yii. I am not much into frameworks but would like to see why I would be. I have great respect for imehesz and would like to see a presentation demonstrating the powers of Yii if he would not mind?

There are just so many frameworks and learning every one of them takes more time than being productive with straight out of the box PHP. Second, CMSs seem to provide the power most programmers are wanting.

Tim
Local Business Information
Eric N.
user 4016762
Group Organizer
Orange Park, FL
Post #: 55
I think imehesz needs to give a meetup on Yii.

Excellent suggestion!

How about it, Imre? I know your schedule is busy (new parent and everything) but maybe a walk-through about a recent project?
imehesz
imehesz
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 45
Hello,

I hate to bring the "breaking" news like this, but "unfortunately" I'm packing my family again and moving to Tampa in a week.

I got a great opportunity/offer there as a PHP developer and decided to go with it.

If somebody else would like to talk about Yii, I will be more than happy to help with code or directions etc ...

[Tim]: You are absolutely right, sometimes CMS is all you need, but as soon as you step over that fine line when you have to do so many custom changes to modules (or create the modules) you'll be stuck. I'd rather suggest a framework (a real one ;) ).

--iM