addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

JaxPHP / JaxWeb Message Board › Where are all the PHP Developers in Jacksonville????

Where are all the PHP Developers in Jacksonville????

A former member
Post #: 1
I am currently looking to fill a PHP Developer role and I am having a hard time finding people that have current and good experience using PHP. I need someone that can work as part of a team doing new development. I can only find talent outside of Jacksonville. Are there any people with PHP skills in this town???
A former member
Post #: 2
I think you have made a pretty strong statement about the local talent. I haven't had a project that I couldn't handle so far. I know I haven't published any books or created my own version of joomala yet but then again no one has offered to pay me to do that either. Putting down the local talent I don't think is the best way to find it. How about being a little more precise about what you are looking for here and maybe someone will help you if we are talented enough.

Gene
imehesz
imehesz
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 34
hahaha,

How ironic :) When I was looking for a PHP job last year, I had to move my family to Orlando, because there were no jobs up here whatsoever! I'm glad to be back, though :D

The PHP guys are probably all employed right now :D

--iM
imehesz
imehesz
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 35
BTW here is guy looking for a job, 2 posts below yours:

http://www.meetup.com...­

--iM
Ray
rayray11
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 3
BTW here is guy looking for a job, 2 posts below yours:

http://www.meetup.com...­

--iM

Thanks for the pointer iM!
Ligaya T.
ligaya.turmelle
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 37
If you were really looking for PHP developers we should have been the first people you talked to and yet - have you ever come to a meeting? What have you done to advertise the position?

Yes there are some excellent PHP developers in the area. And your inability to find them is your problem not theirs. And why the heck do they have to be only local coders? It irritates me that people can be so limiting.

And yes I am a book and article author (not all it's cracked up to be might I add). Feel free to Google me if you don't believe it - "Ligaya Turmelle PHP" should do it.
A former member
Post #: 45
I am currently looking to fill a PHP Developer role and I am having a hard time finding people that have current and good experience using PHP. I need someone that can work as part of a team doing new development. I can only find talent outside of Jacksonville. Are there any people with PHP skills in this town???

POINT IN RED
I think I said this at a meeting a couple back, "Let me piss some people off!" Geoff is like a person watching TV and he has all the facts. Actually there is some truth to his statement, Jacksonville lacks experienced enterprise PHP programmers that are available for work!

Jacksonville is a bought Microsoft / Sun city, meaning that the big companies' leaders who seek an answer for their solutions outsource to counsel and 100% from the big players. At a party I was talking to a manager over webdev and a LAN admin for Blue Cross and mentioned PHP and their response was "What is that?" That indicates the lack of presence of PHP programmers you will find in comparison to California with large PHP enterprise environments. These large companies in Jacksonville have thrown millions of dollars out the door daily and are damned by their past decisions. As the demand for a cheaper solutions is upon everyone, there is a lack of people available in Jacksonville who can immediately step into these environments and be their savior.

Jacksonville has many freelancers and many of these programmers bring more to the table then most of the corporate DOT NETers. While in Blue Cross I asked for one field to be added to a service center report on an ASP script and the guy said it would take him two weeks, if he worked for me I would of fired him (not really but we would of had a talk)! My observation is enterprise programmers use about 10 % of their skills frequently, freelancers use 90% often. In the last month I have made video tutorials with Camtasia Studio and Captivate, Manipulated millions of database records with MySQL, Excel and PHP, Used JavaScript (raw), CSS, HTML, Ajax, PHP to create and improve websites, create Flash presentations using Actionscript, created much graphic art with Xara Xtreme including my signature file, and that is just off the top of my head. To say that Jacksonville lacks "good experience using PHP" indicates a lack of understanding that PHP is 100% PHP and not the 5% enterprise experience you Jeoff seek.

Rambling? Yes! Solution, collaboration in our meetings to help local PHP programmers focus their learning on enterprise solutions to be ready to take on these positions becoming available, with help from the programmers with the experience that are not available for these jobs.

Local Business Network

A former member
Post #: 47
Thank you Eric, I just needed more coffee!
A former member
Post #: 2
I first want to apologize to anyone that I may have offended in my posting. I love the fact that people on here are so passionate!! ;-)

It was not my intention to stir the hornets nest with this. That was not my intention at all. My post was to see where people are working and if anyone was looking right now. I was also hoping that my posting would stimulate some conversation about what companies are using PHP in town. Not only to help my cause but hopefully for others to see what companies do use and then everyone would be equiped with that knowledge and be able to target those companies if they are looking.

As mentioned in another posting on this page, Jacksonville is a Microsoft town and in my past experience I have not come across many PHP developers in town as it is not a technology that, in my experience, is used a lot locally.

Again this was not to put down anyone's talents or abilities in this area. I have met some very good talent in town but it is not a common technology used so it is not as prevelant as .NET or Java programmers... Those are everywhere.

Thank you for the comments posted!