addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

JaxRaw - NorthEast Florida's Raw & Living Foods Meetup Message Board › Requesting info about Food Dehydrators

Requesting info about Food Dehydrators

Cristina
CristinaAnniah
Saint Augustine, FL
Post #: 19
Does anyone in the group use a food dehydrator? I have a friend who is really interested in purchasing one and I don't know too much about them. I will do some research on the Internet, but thought I could get some feedback through the group. What kind of dehydrator is best for people starting out? What brands are the best? What price range do they fall in? My friend doesn't need the most expensive one, but not the least expensive either. Would be grateful for some information? Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 12
We use an Excalibur dehydrator and only on it's lowest setting. So far it's about two years old and it's awesome! I intend to make the screens on the trays stainless steel mesh, but for now everything is plastic. Watch the movie "Plastic Planet" to see why that's not good. If you can find a dehydrator that has pull out drawers and uses stainless screens, get it.

These things are basically just a rack system with a fan in the back.

I've had the round ones with the fan on the bottom blowing up... Very inconsistent. It's better to use the sun and a drying tray.

As for herbs... you can just take the leaves and put them in brown paper bags and leave them in a window sill for a week or so. Perfectly dehydrated.

Good Luck!
A former member
Post #: 2
I purchased a 4 tier Excalibur from the internet about 6 months ago and have been extremely happy with it. It is just my husband and I, so I didn't feel we needed anything larger. Do get the teflex sheets, they are alot easier than trying to use butcher paper when making crackers.
A former member
Post #: 2
I purchased an large Excaliber fairly recently. The prices were about the same from Amazon and from the manufacturer. I ended up going with the manufacturer because they had a better promo at the time (not sure about now). I usually use it on low heat and it works very well. I got the big one, because the food shrinks up so small and it takes so many hours to make one batch. Good luck!
Candice
Candice1010
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Post #: 83
Hi! I have 2 dehydrators. I started out with an Excalibur 5 tray but found out quickly that it was too small for making batches of crackers. We then got a 9 tray Excalibur with a timer which is a great feature if you're not at home/or asleep and need to turn the dehydrator off. The teflex sheets are definitely needed for making any kind of crackers/wraps/or anything with a batter consistency. I dehydrate items at between 110 and 115 degrees. I got my dehydrator around 4 years ago so the prices have probably changed since then! Happy dehydrating!
Gale G.
user 10002899
Fleming Island, FL
Post #: 3
I use on the 9 tray Excalibur I bought on E-Bay. I'm glad I got the big one. Many many uses.

Gale
A former member
Post #: 995
Same here as for Candice.... the 5 tray Excalibur wasn't big enough so I now have a 5 & a 9 tray. The Excalibur is a consistent machine and easy peasy to use --- wish it wasn't so...plastic!
Gale G.
user 10002899
Fleming Island, FL
Post #: 4
Hey Melissa, the excaliber that I bought on E-Bay is metal! Looks like a microwave oven!!!! Naturally the trays are plastic. Must have been an earlier model.
Mark R.
mradacz
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 3
Got brand new 80L Cabellas - quite pricey but works great and it's all metal..
Also have an old 9 tray Excalibur that I'm supposed to list on Craigslist..
A former member
Post #: 4
Count me in as another happy 9 tray Excalibur owner. For me, it was the size and the timer.