For all the piano music lovers this one will be a treat!
Russian-born Vassily Primakov is now recognized as a pianist of world class importance. Gramophone Magazine noted his ‘empathy for Chopin’s spirit’, while BBC Music Magazine praised ‘the exceptional quality’ of his playing. He now has a considerable discography to his credit and in 2009 his recording of Chopin’s Mazurkas was adjudged ‘Best of the Year’.
Chopin: Polonaise in C# Minor, Opus 26 N0 1
Chopin: Twelve Mazurkas
Chopin: Polonaise in A Flat, Opus 53 (the `Heroic`)
Liszt: Funerailles (from Harmonies poetiques et religieuses)
Liszt: Sonata in B Minor
What this really means
Chopin is known for challenging piano players on a technical level, so if you want to see fingers doing magic tricks while running a marathon and somehow expressing sincere emotions on the keyboard, then this will be highly entertaining.
Liszt, in the other corner, experimented with music and broke a lot of rules (at that time) in terms of harmony. A lot of his pieces have a grim mood to them and he transcribed other composers' pieces and then made them his own. Quite a character.
These two of the Romantic period were even friends at the time which might explain their hairstyles. Let them charm you for the evening.
- I will be at the canteen from 16:00, because they have cake! This is to your left when you enter the building (one entrance only).
- Would prefer to sit in front (rows A and B), so I will take payments of R130 per ticket and make a booking one week before the event for those who want to simplify their own admin. Let me know if you need my banking details for the EFT.
- If you do not book online ahead of the time you can still bring cash to get a ticket at the door. We will coordinate this as a group for those who would prefer it. There are always still seats left - you won't miss the performance.
- At about 16:50 we will take our seats and enjoy the music.
- I always buy a programme which we can share within the group to read up on the evening's doings.
- It is better to bring cash to this venue and festivities.
Where to go
GPS Coordinates: [masked],[masked]
Address: 27 Saint Andrews Road, Parktown