Hacker News Readers DC Message Board › Mailing List Guidelines

Mailing List Guidelines

Rusty K.
RustyKlophaus
Group Organizer
Alexandria, VA
Hello folks,

Lately I've been thinking about ways to make the HNDC mailing list more useful.

My sense is that many people in this group have things they *want* to announce (startup news, job openings, local events), but keep quiet out of deep respect for others' time and inboxes.

The respect is appreciated, but it also means we're missing out on some really good stuff. With that in mind, I'd like to propose a "code of conduct" so that people can communicate more freely without feeling like they are imposing.

Here goes:

• If you want to post an announcement, please tag the subject line of your post with one or more of the following:

• [STARTUP] for news about a startup with which you are affiliated. (Launching, feedback requests, new features, etc.)
    • [JOB] if the post is about a job opportunity appropriate to HN readers.
    • [EVENT] if the post is about an event that the group might find interesting.
    • [PROJECT] if the post is about a software project or application that you built.
    • Add new tags as necessary.

• No recruiters please.
  • No resumes or soliciting work please.

If you *don't* want to see emails for a specific tag, then just filter it out in your email client.

Any mistakes made with good intentions will be quickly forgiven, and any jerks will be warned, then banned. ;-)

Best,

Rusty