Just Food City Chicken Meetup NYC Message Board General Discussion › Birds in the chicken coop

Birds in the chicken coop

A former member
Post #: 19
Once it gets cold, birds find their way into the chicken run, and probably the coop too. Last winter I wrapped bird mesh around the chicken wire to keep them out but it didn't work. Other than the birds eating the feed, is there any reason why they can't be in there with the chickens? I always think they could transmit bird illnesses to them, but of course they are all birds. Has anyone run into this problem, if it even is one? The birds are the usual songbirds that hang out in my backyard.
Thanks
Rose
Martha
marthalazar
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 56
Hi Rose,

I don't usually have birds in the run. I usually have squirrels. I think that the wild birds are probably how mites and other parasites find their way into my flock. I let my hens run around the yard periodically.

I wouldn't worry about the birds if they don't seem to be bothering your hens. I noticed I have more birds in the yard in general and just think that they feel comfortable around the hens as though I have an extra bird-friendly yard.