Just Food City Chicken Meetup NYC Message Board Media Inquiries + Research Projects: Make your hens famous, support the movement › Seeking Chicken Keepers in Manhattan

Seeking Chicken Keepers in Manhattan

A former member
Post #: 1
Dear All:

I'm a producer for ARD German Public Radio in their New York bureau.

We are producing a segment about urban chicken owners, which will air on our 60 stations in Germany. In my research I came across your meetup.

My radio reporter Thomas is looking for someone who owns chickens and lives in Manhattan. I was hoping that anyone who is interested in talking to us about how to keep chickens in the city would contact me. We are interested in where you keep them and why (for the eggs/for fun) and would like our listeners in Germany to learn about Manhattanites who are into keeping their own coop.

This is going to be a radio segment, so the reporter works with a small voice recorder and disruption is minimal.

I hope to hear from you.

Thanks,
Sarah

shuebinger at ardny dot com
A former member
Post #: 2
Sarah,

I hope you don't fall for the "Manhattan is NYC" line that is so often portrayed in the media; we are 5 boroughs and all are densely populated. There are many of us in all the boroughs and I think that [especially for radio] the city is the city. smile
A former member
Post #: 1
I could not agree more! NYC is more than just MANHATTAN. Take a look at each unique borough, and be amazed at it's diversity. I keep Seramas in Brooklyn. I have a good friend that keeps Silkies in Staten Island.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi All:

Sorry if I offended anyone. I certainly agree that NYC is a misch-masch of all 5 boros and not only big ol' Manhattan. For our radio segment we will certainly include a chicken keeper from Brooklyn ( I have already found this person) and my boss would like to also add someone who lives and loves his chickens in Manhattan.

Thanks for commenting. smile
Jacquie B.
user 7964985
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 6
Contact the folks at Goode Green - they do green roof stuff in NYC and I believe they have chickens in their own Manhattan rooftop garden. Hey, if they're not here already, they should join the meetup! http://www.goodegreen...­