Just Food City Chicken Meetup NYC Message Board Bedding › interested in mulch hay?

interested in mulch hay?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi!

I am trying to organize a bulk delivery of mulch straw/hay for use in gardens and with chickens. Is anyone out there intereste din purchasing some bales of mulch hay? I've only been able to find it for $14/bale, which is lunacy, and am trying to get it delivered for under $5 bale.

The delivery location would be in Bed Stuy, off Atlantic Ave, close to Utical Ave. I have room to at least temporarily hold 100s of bales if we have a surge of interest, but it probably won't be worth a farmer's time and gas to truck down here for less than 100 bales.

Lastly, I'm looking to do this as soon as possible as the weeds are surging in the garden.

Anyone interested?

Holly Burmeister
A former member
Post #: 2
Holly,
I can take two bales but only if the farmer says they are straw, not hay.
Thanks
Rose
A former member
Post #: 3
Holly! We agree that $14+ for bedding is c-r-a-z-y! I could take about 6 to 8 bales, so keep me in the loop!

Thanks, fiona and daniel
carissa
user 9182934
Montréal, QC
Holly...do you still have hay. I am interested in 20 bales!

let me know, I am happy to come and pick them up.

Carissa
A former member
Holly...do you still have hay. I am interested in 20 bales!

let me know, I am happy to come and pick them up.

Carissa

Hi Carissa-

I've found a guy who will deliver for $150 plus cost of bales ($7 each)--but you're only the 2nd person who has responded, and I couldn't afford to float it myself. I was going to go out and get as many as my ziptruck could hold on Friday--prolly like 15 or so.

Do you want me to pass along his info? Or, if you know of one other person, maybe we could still get a delivery.
A former member
Post #: 5
we'll up our order to 10 bales if that would help... -fB+dB+the gyrrls
carissa
user 9182934
Montréal, QC
Post #: 3
I can up the amount to 30!

Will that help?
should we try to gather more people on board?
Simone M.
user 9418605
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 4
Hi

I get my hay from the feed store in Staten Island. And the best thing for your garden to use as mulch is salt hay or composted manure and hay combo since there are no grass seeds in either. I have gotten that from garden centers outside the city

Here is an article about using hay and manure in your garden
Manure chronicles ( May 8 2009 NYT )
http://www.nytimes.co...­

Manure safe or Not (May 2009) NYT

http://topics.blogs.n...­
Simone M.
user 9418605
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 5
One more word of caution about getting large quantities of hay . If you do not have a secure dry place to store the hay or if you put plastic over it the hay can get moldy.....not good for bedding for chickens