Just Food City Chicken Meetup NYC Message Board General Discussion › Need some chicks? Our broody hen wants to hatch them for you.

Need some chicks? Our broody hen wants to hatch them for you.

A former member
Post #: 6
We have a broody hen who really wishes she had some fertilized eggs to keep warm.

She's stopped laying but she keeps sitting on the other hens' eggs. She keeps her feathers all puffed up, and makes cooing noises, and sits in the nest box day and night.

Just putting it out there... lonely hen wants to hatch some chicks...
Martha
marthalazar
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 30
You might want to have her try and hatch some ice cubes to break up the broodiness. biggrin
Sheila
user 9092143
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 4
I have Silkies so they are prone to broodiness. I put them in a wire cage with a dropped floor and stick them in the shed for 3 nights in a row. Has worked every time. The key is to not let them get all that heat under them.
A former member
Post #: 10
not a great time of year for chicks, you might want to try ice cubes and/or separating the hen in a raised wire cage (we found the ice worked, but only temporarily and that the cage is actually more effective) You need to cool her down, and I guess be careful not to let her catch a chill.

We have a broody hen who really wishes she had some fertilized eggs to keep warm.

She's stopped laying but she keeps sitting on the other hens' eggs. She keeps her feathers all puffed up, and makes cooing noises, and sits in the nest box day and night.

Just putting it out there... lonely hen wants to hatch some chicks...