Do you love chickens? Are you interested in keeping chickens in the city, but are not ready to have your own? Do you want to help run the first NYC Egg CSA?
bk farmyards is looking for 1-3 people to work with our Egg CSA. Interns will work with Bee Ayer to care for the chickens and help facilitate our CSA. Through educational instructions and experiences, opportunities to work hands on with the chickens and CSA and trips to other poultry operations interns will learn the essentials of urban chicken keeping. The internship will be structured around working in conjunction with Bee, receiving lessons and information on proper care, independent study and work with the chickens, and participation in our public workshops.
We are looking for Interns that:
· Enjoy learning new skills.
· Feel comfortable working independently.
· Love animals and care for their welfare.
· Value community ownership of the food system.
· Are not afraid to get dirty and work in all weather.
· Are reliable and dedicated.
Interns must be able to work 2 days a week for 2-3 hours, but are welcome to hang out with the chickens as much as they like. Interns must be able to work with bk farmyards for 3-4 months, with start dates from now until September.
This is an unpaid internship; interns will receive free eggs, education on chicken keeping, and hopefully have lots of fun!
Women, people of color and residents of N. Crown Heights and Bed Stuy are highly encouraged to apply.
To apply of find out more information please email Bee (at) bkfarmyards (dot) com. Please include your contact information, neighborhood residence, and answer the following questions:
· What is your experience working with animals and livestock?
· Why are you interested in this position?
· What is your experience working with a community project?
· How long will you be able to work with us?