Just Food City Chicken Meetup NYC Message Board Chicken Problems and Illnesses › What to do with a dead chicken?

What to do with a dead chicken?

Martha
marthalazar
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 43
I would like to know what people do with their chickens when they die. Is there a particular way to dispose of them?
Karen
houseofcakes
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 56
According to DOS, you can put it in the trash. You can also bury it, but you want to lime it really well either way--lots and lots of lime--it helps sterlize/neutralize and aids in decomp. We opted for burying. I have even considered stealth burying in the park b/c it's organic matter and really, I don't feel like putting a dead chicken in plastic in the garbage and then going to the landfill. Seems kind of pointless.

If you know it *just* died and it's not sick, you could always eat it. Seriously.

HTH,

Karen
Maggie G.
MaggieGroening
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 3
Not that this is the best thing to do, but I put my recently dead chicken in the garbage.

My question is: What is the best way to euthanize a chicken? Because wow, what a bummer that is.

thanks,
Maggie G.
Martha
marthalazar
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 44
I didn't think we would be allowed to bury a chicken as you aren't allowed to bury cats or dogs. I ended up taking my hen to the vet, where they cremated her. It was a group cremation where I didn't get the ashes back and it cost $27.50. This was at Animal Kind in Park Slope. The chicken that died was our favorite and was more of a pet than livestock, so we couldn't put her in the trash or eat her.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm not sure the best way to euthanize a chicken. I think backyardchickens has a lot of suggestions on that.

Martha
Karen
houseofcakes
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 58
Sorry to hear about your chicken Martha :( It's hard to lose an animal--livestock or not. I lost a chicken and it was sad even though they are more livestock to me.

Good suggestion on cremation. Yes--you're right, burying animals in the city is kind of a no-no (which I can understand from a health level but also seems silly--we considered actually driving out of the city to bury ours). Most vets have a cremation service they use so you can call your vet if you have one.

Owen might be a good resource on euthanization. Again, vet might be a good humane option. There are other ways that are more "hands-on" in my book (Storey's guide) including knife and breaking of neck, and I have not tried them but I feel like that day is coming and would dread it. . . Yes, there are good online is a resources, including the Domestic Birds GoogleGroup (dom_bird). Surprisingly too, you might want to ask your neighbors depending on where you live. In my nabe, many have had chickens growing up and have good knowledge.

Best,

Karen