Kayak Florida's magnificent waterways with safety-conscious, experienced, self-reliant kayakers! Answer the QUESTIONS FOR YOURSELF below to FIND OUT IF YOU QUALIFY and would like to join us :>)
For complete information, click Pages above to see all our documents in Table of Contents
Kayaking Resources: See "Sponsors" above
See Group reviews, then ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FOR YOURSELF TO FIND OUT IF YOU QUALIFY AND WOULD ENJOY OUR EVENTS. If you answer "Yes" to all of them, then Join us!
* SAFETY REQUIREMENT: Can you swim to get back into your kayak or to shore after a flip?
* SAFETY REQUIREMENT: Do you ALWAYS wear a vest-type Coast Guard-approved PFD tightened to fit snug? (No inflatables!)
* SAFETY REQUIREMENT: Does your kayak have flotation fore and aft, and do both ends stay afloat after a flip? Do you check this at least yearly?
* SAFETY REQUIREMENT: Can you do the T-Recovery to assist others to get back into their kayak after capsizing, and do you practice this?
* SAFETY REQUIREMENT: If you flipped and found yourself separated from the group, can you do self-recovery (get back into your kayak unassisted), do you practice this and do you carry the gear you need?
* SAFETY REQUIREMENT: Do you always carry a spare paddle so you can continue with the group when/if yours breaks or is out of reach?
* Is your kayak AT LEAST 12' long and designed for long distance paddling?
* Do you like paddles 8-14+ miles?
* Do you enjoy stopping to observe wildlife and other attractions along the way?
* Would you like to paddle only when you wish, with no obligation, dues or "club," just safety-conscious, experienced, self-reliant kayakers getting together to enjoy our region's numerous fabulous opportunities?
(If you need to upgrade your skills or equipment and don't know where to go for help, there are three "Nature Coast" outfitters among our "Sponsors" above.)
(We do not take beginners. See the note at the end.)
SAFETY FIRST! - We follow guidelines established by certified experts. Click here to see:
"SAFETY ESSENTIALS FOR PADDLING WITH US" http://www.meetup.com/KAYAK-GULF-NATURE-COAST-CENTRAL-FLORIDA-RIVERS/pages/SAFETY_ESSENTIALS_FOR_PADDLING_WITH_US/
"A Kayaking Lesson (For All!)" - From Michael Devlin, President, Paradise Coast Paddlers Club http://www.meetup.com/KAYAK-GULF-NATURE-COAST-CENTRAL-FLORIDA-RIVERS/pages/A_Kayaking_Lesson_%28For_all%21%29
PARTICIPANTS - Self-reliant, safety-conscious kayakers who live throughout Central Florida. Some join us only when we're paddling close to home, others drive longer distances to experience new waterways and meet other paddlers. With the arrival of cool weather, we enjoy the migration of snowbirds.
EVENTS - We have more than 100 different events to chose from, and the list is growing as we continue to explore new places. Our trips include well-known popular places, as well as waterways not found in paddling books.There are five types of paddles: inland rivers, Gulf open waters, sheltered Gulf areas, lake open waters, and explorations.
OPEN WATERS EVENTS - At least 16' sea kayak and open waters gear, as well as experience paddling in winds and waves are required. Therefore, we have a special group for kayakers prepared for open waters events in the Gulf and on lakes.
WHEN AND HOW WE PADDLE - Usually Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, 8-14+ miles, 4-5 hours, with stops to enjoy wildlife and other attractions along the way. To catch tides at the right time, we sometimes paddle other days too.
WHERE WE PADDLE - The Gulf's "Nature Coast” from Steinhatchee to Tampa, and Central Florida waterways as far north as Gainesville and the Santa Fe, as far south as Tampa and as far east as the Orlando area.
NO DUES, NO "CLUB" - We're only about kayaking, getting together to enjoy this sport with like-minded kayakers. Folks sign up only when it suits. Afterwards, those who wish to socialize more sometimes arrange among themselves to enjoy local restaurants.
HOW EVENTS ARE CHOSEN - Our focus being safety, comfort and enjoyment, for Gulf paddles we go only when tides and winds are favorable and it’s not too hot. In hot, humid weather, we start early and do shady places and runs with springs for swimming. During cold weather, we start later and paddle open waters and places with manatees. In spring, we paddle areas where many birds are nesting, in autumn the runs with the best fall colors.
CANCELLATION AND CHANGE OF DESTINATION - When weather forecasts indicate unsafe and/or uncomfortable conditions, events are cancelled or the venue changed to a place we can enjoy safely.
NOTE TO BEGINNERS: We enjoy introducing new paddlers to the numerous wonders of our region! It doesn't take long to get ready when you start by learning with qualified instructors the skills needed to paddle with us. When you can answer "Yes" to the "QUESTIONS FOR YOURSELF," you'll be ready to join us! :>)
(If you don't know where to start, there are three "Nature Coast" outfitters who offer lessons, kayaks and gear in " Sponsors" above.)