Deadline to register is extended to Wednesday, October 22nd
This is an annual favorite. We'll stay at the YMCA's scenic Camp Wood and enjoy autumn on the prairie. Bring a tent or stay in a comfortable cabin. Camp Wood is west of Emporia, about two hours southwest of KC.
Arrive Friday afternoon to explore the camp and enjoy the campfire. On Saturday we'll visit the nearby Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve to hike and explore, and we'll conclude Sunday morning with a trail ride on the camp's horses. This is a great outing for families or anyone new to camping.
Please note! This outing requires camping and horseback riding fees that will be paid to Camp Wood. To make reservations for this outing, please RSVP here, then visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/family-camping-in-the-flint-hills-tickets-12182954545 to pay your fee online. The fees are per person, per night.
*** Please pay your fee at the time you RSVP!! If fees are not paid in full by the deadline of SATURDAY, OCT. 22, you will be removed from the event. ***
We will be staying in & around the Jones Village cabins, which have heat, a/c and electric. There are 8 cabins which will be reserved on a first come, first served basis. Tents will be set up on the grounds around the cabins where there is plenty of grassy, level space.
- Tent campers: bring your tent, sleeping bags, flashlights, etc. – the basic camping stuff. Tent campers will be directly adjacent to the bathrooms with lovely hot showers, etc.
- Cabin dwellers: bring sleeping bags, pillows and/or bedding. Each cabin has 4 sets of twin sized bunk beds and one full-sized bed, and has a fully modern bathroom attached.
- Food: Campground style. Bring whatever you like for a couple of dinners and breakfasts, snacks, and a bag lunch for Saturday at the Tallgrass Preserve. There is a grocery store in Strong City, however it is about a 20 minute drive from the camp.
- sunscreen & bug repellent
- towels / toiletries
- camp chairs if you have them, for ‘round the campfire
- comfy shoes for hiking, and a hat. The prairie is shade-less and usually WINDY!
- if you plan to ride, you MUST have long pants and sturdy, close-toed shoes. No exceptions!
More information at these links: http://www.campwood.org/
If you have questions, feel free to message me or give me a call. Renee /[masked]-4445.
This event is being sponsored by the Kansas City Area Sierra Club, and upon arrival, participants are required to sign a standard liability waiver. If you would like to read the Liability Waiver before you choose to participate in an outing, please go to: http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/chapter/forms/ . A $10 donation per family or group is requested but not required… this helps cover the Sierra Club’s costs for things like outings leader safety training.