**** This is NOT a Sierra Club Thomas Hart Benton Group Local Outing but attendance is open to all interested paddlers. Wear your Sierra Club t-shirt! I'd like to get a group photo of all Sierrans on the float. ******
UPDATE: 1 day till we launch! Registrations are closed.
• On Sept. 6th we intend to launch by 9:00 a.m. from Schimmel City Access, Farley, MO. The Platte Landing shuttle bus will leave by or soon after 8:00 a.m. We are expected at Platte Landing Park between 1:00 & 2:00 p.m.
• Weather & Water. The weather looks great. It'll be cool in the morning and then warm up. Skies will clear into the day and the chance of rain diminishes after 6:00 a.m. The river levels appear to be dropping back into favorable conditions.
• Assume the float is a "GO" unless Randy White informs otherwise. If the weather looks questionable, a final decision will be made by 3:00 p.m. Friday afternoon considering a combination of wind, rain, potential for lightning, and river water levels.
• Co-organizer Randy White reports there are approx. 70 people registered and availability of shuttle bus seats is quickly becoming limited.
• Leave all of your passengers and gear at Schimmel City before catching the bus at Platte Landing. Space will be limited on the bus so bring as little as possible with you on the bus shuttle.
• Co-organizer Randy White has max-ed out his River Run boat rentals and his ability to shuttle boats & gear. If you haven't made shuttle arrangements (with River Run Rentals or the bus option), then you have to handle your own shuttle arrangements.
• Waiver. All participants are required to fill out a waiver. Randy White has sent you a waiver by e-mail if you've pre-registered. If not, expect to sign a waiver in the morning. Turn in your completed waiver to get a colored launch card. You must show your colored card before launching at Schimmel City!
• The Missouri Dept. of Conservation and Vicki Richmond, Healthy Rivers Partnership, will be escorting the group with powerboats.
• This morning the City of Parkville was out cleaning up the Platte Landing Park and the Missouri Dept. of Conversation will be out today cleaning up Schimmel City Access.
• News media, including t.v. stations, will be at Platte Landing Park to cover our arrival. If you have a Sierra Club shirt, wear it! (For Missouri River issues, go to the Sierra Club THB Groups webpage at http://missouri.sierraclub.org/thb/conservation/missouri-river/index.html)
In celebration of Platte County Missouri's 175th Anniversary, join a flotilla of canoes/kayaks launching at Schimmel City Access, Farley, MO, to float down the Platte River and then onto the Missouri River. The float ends at the new Parkville boat ramp and our arrival in Parkville, MO, is timed to meet at the dedication of the historic marker commemorating the Wreck of the Steamboat Arabia.
If you've never floated the Missouri River, this will be the time to do it with fun and experienced paddlers.
Saturday, September 6, 2014, Location: Schimmel City Access in Farley, MO to Parkville, MO, Distance: 15 miles, Departure Time: 8:00 AM, Float Time: 4+ hours Rate: Free to float! Pre-register at http://kcriverrun.com/sign-up.html.