The Kansas City Witches Meetup Group Message Board › scared straight

scared straight

DeniseSeah
express
Kansas City, MO
Post #: 2,424
We all know it is so so so tough being a parent! I have a five year old son and I try to raise him to the best of my knowledge but sometimes I feel that it is not good enough. With peer pressures and the media how do you teach our children to live a non-violent life do we hide from the world and just bury the negative things out there under the carpet and forget about it. Do we let our children walk all over us and say hateful and hurtful things to others?? It is tough, I did come across an interesting web-site when I was looking up information on the Scared Straight program that was from the late 70's because I am curious about the program on how to keep our children from being victims of crime or end up in prison themselves it scared me as a kid. Well here is the web-site http://www.wild-side....­

I am writing this because I lost a friend a month ago to a gun shot wound to the head he was 32 years old.
Judy (.
user 2357907
Kansas City, KS
Post #: 90
when my son was 15 I let the police take him into custody after his stepdad and he got into a fight when I was out of town for work. He is now 30 yrs old and never been in jail or trouble since....and he still has the "Bob Barker" comb as a reminder of his 3 days in juvie....better then than have let it escalate and end up on an adult record....His stepdad should have gone to jail too..... but to change an adults attitude and behavior is near impossible when they think their S**t doesn't stink....

All you can do is your best *golden rule* *treat people as you would want to be treated* *you don't have to behave like the other kids be yourself*

and I know you are a good example as a caring person....hang in there!

Trouble
AutumnWolf
AutumnWolf
Kansas City, MO
Post #: 835
My theory has always been this:

- I am going to teach you the best things I know and why it important to live this way.

- I will tell you about the negative things and the impact they can have on your life and that of others.

- I will protect you as a child to the best of my ability but at some point you will grow up.

Who they turn out to be at some point we no longer have control, although we all try for as very long as we can.

One of my kids has had some problems with drinking. For the most part he is now past that part of his life. One day we were talking.... "I wish I had paid more attention to the things you taught me growing up. I might not have had to learn these things the hard way"

We can only do the best we know how to do, then sit back and hope for the very best.
A former member
Post #: 23
We can only do the best we know how to do, then sit back and hope for the very best.

I agree. We can only show them the way, give them advise and hope that they will listen and follow. To be there when they need us and let them learn on their own. Although times may be tough, we hang in there and hope they will do the same.
A former member
Post #: 199
My dad always said that raising a kid was like aiming an arrow at a target. You can be dedicated to practicing your aim, thorough in the maintenance of your bow and arrow, and you can take your time and fire the arrow with a steady hand.

But once you've let loose of the arrow, and it is free of the bow...you have very little control over whether it hits the mark or not. A feather might fall off. A gust of wind may push the arrow. The target might fall over. :-)

Obviously, when our kids are young...we are still aiming that arrow and you must do all you can to help them hit the mark. But when they reach those years between teenage years and adulthood, for the most part all you can do is watch and wait to see what happens.

All of my kids are young...and I'll still aiming those arrows!

Mark
DeniseSeah
express
Kansas City, MO
Post #: 2,428
I like that Mark
A former member
Post #: 166
I agree Mark.