Kauai Adventure Club Message Board › Where are the currently best spots for over-the-ocean sunrise and sunsets?

Where are the currently best spots for over-the-ocean sunrise and sunsets?

Chris
user 13411771
Lihue, HI
Post #: 9
I think the Beach House sunset perspective is not yet over the ocean.

I know Loren has a favorite sunrise spot somewhere between Ha'upu and Nawiliwili.

The restaurant at The St. Regis or the Russian Fort outside should be good.

Maybe the Pihea lookout atop the Kalalau?

Please suggest good spots!

Thanks,

Chris
Julie
user 2596504
Kapaa, HI
Post #: 23
Sunsets:

You can always see the sun setting over the ocean at Ke'e Beach, Polihale, Kekaha, Kalalau Valley Lookout, etc. Any west facing beach like Salt Pond and I would think bluffs like McBride Hill at Kukuiolono Golf Course.

At this time you can see the sun setting from some of the north shore beaches that face slightly west, such as Tunnels, Puu Poa Beach below the St. Regis, though I think within a week or two it will set behind Mt Makana. Which means pretty soon you'll be able to see it from the south shore west facing beaches.

Agree it's too soon to see the sun set over the ocean from Beach House, Sheraton, etc., though you might be able to see it from Ka Iwa Point - or Ka Lae O Ka Iwa - which is at the end of Lawai road - near the gate to NTBG. There are some awesome spots (romantic-adventurous) up on the cliff there if one walks down the fishing trails a bit to the various bluffs. Shhh don't advertise this area - it's secret! ;-)

Sunrise:

You can always see the sun rise from Donkey Beach, Anahola, Moloa'a, Larsens' Beach, Lydgate Park, Nukoli'i (by Kauai Beach Resort) and usually from Wailua Beach. Anywhere along the bike path. Probably also from Ahukini Point (by the airport) though I've never gone there to watch the sunrise -maybe also Ninini Lighthouse.

You might be able to see the sunrise from Makahuena Point - between the Point at Poipu and the Grand Hyatt. (There is a parking lot there and lots of picturesque spots along the Heritage Trail.)

If you're looking for just one favorite spot - that would be tough! That would be a good project - to list the sunset and sunrise beaches for each month as the year goes by. I have a rough schedule in my head and some date stamped photos to help me to be sure for sunrise and sunset weddings.

I'll be curious to learn other members favorite spots - and to jog my memory of places that didn't pop into my head right away.

Manfred
user 19535901
Kapaa, HI
Post #: 1
Adding to Julie's sunrise spots-the overlook between Kapaa and Kealia near the new fire station, the turnout before the heiau by Opaekaa falls is nice because it's further from the shore and you get a wider view, and one of my favorites is the top of Sleeping Giant. If you get a clear horizon, it is spectacular. And since no island was specified, if you time it right you can go to the top of Mt. Haleakala on Maui and catch the sunset and moonrise minutes apart. I went once and the setting sun cast a cone shaped shadow eastward across the ocean and a nearly full moon rose from the tip of the cone.
Peter
pcmeetup
Anaheim, CA
Post #: 141
Great tips :) missing you all!
Chris
user 13411771
Lihue, HI
Post #: 10
Thanks for all the tips. I especially like the idea of a calendar that shows when you can start viewing sunsets/sunrises from specific points. Maybe a map of the island that shows start/stop dates at selected locations.