SEPT 30 - Quivett Creek CANCELLED DUE TO FORECAST OF WIND

 

This is the last of three times in September that I am posting this paddle because no parking sticker is required in Sept. It is the last possible day this fall I can paddle, so there will be no alternate date for this Quivett Creek paddle. Next paddle will be in May, 2014.

We'll launch at 9:30 AM, because high tide in Barnstable and Sesuit Harbors is about 8:36 AM. Forecast of rain or any wind over 5 - 8 mph will cancel this paddle

As of today, Sept 16, when we paddled by Paines Creek Beach launch area, the launch looks like it will not be open for weeks.  WE'LL  LAUNCH FROM MANTS LANDING....and hug the shore going west to the mouth of Quivett Creek.  As we make our way up this wonderful creek, we'll be surrounded by extensive marsh. Unlike Scorton Creek and Chase Garden where the reeds and grasses are too tall to see over, the vegetation along Quivett Creek allows distant views at high tide.

Even though the vast majority of the paddle is in protected water in the marsh, the paddle from the launch to the marsh is wide open. Any forecast of wind and this paddle will be cancelled. If the wind is out of the north, kayaks are pushed in toward land and water is splashed over the side of the kayak. If wind is out of the east, it can be difficult to get back to the launch.

LIKE ALL OUR PADDLES, THIS PADDLE IS ONLY FOR EXPERIENCED AND ENERGETIC PEOPLE WHO ALREADY HAVE EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE KAYAKING, THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO GET SOME TIME ON THE WATER. YOU MUST HAVE THAT EXPERIENCE BEFORE PADDLING WITH US.

Mants Landing is a Brewster "town landing" that looks like a lovely beach, but you can bring your vehicle right up to the edge of the sand and have only a 20' carry.

DIRECTIONS:
From the intersection of Rt 134 (ex 9 off Mid Cape) and 6A, go east on 6A for 2.7 mi. Bear left onto Lower Rd (see Luke's in shopping plaza on left). Go 0.7 mi on Lower Rd. Take left on Robbins Hill and go 0.7 mi to the end of road into beach parking lot.  

Make sure I can contact you in case weather forces cancellation.

Join or login to comment.

  • Carol P.

    It is still closed!

    September 29, 2013

  • Joyce

    Ruby, you posted that "Elaine and I might join you". There is no member in this group be the name of Elaine. Has she joined under another name? If you hoped to bring a guest, please read the information about this group. There are never any guests allowed on paddles.

    September 29, 2013

  • Jim

    I am/was looking forward to this excursion but I agree that wind out of the NE is possibly a problem even though it is only the bay. If it does not look good, can I suggest going to the River Landing in East Orleans. Any north wind should not be a problem there, at least to start and we could go as far as it seems workable. The tide there would be high around 11 tomorrow which would probably make it possible to go around Pochet Island, along and inside the outer beach. The start of this is not wilderness (quite a few homes) but it gets more remote as you go.

    September 29, 2013

  • Denis S.

    Joyce: Thanks for the updates. Keep me posted. Denis

    September 29, 2013

  • ruby

    Elaine and I might join u we stay in falmouth overnight today .we live in conn.

    September 29, 2013

  • Joyce

    6:00 AM Sunday.
    The forecast is better for tomorrow than when I emailed you all yesterday. The prediction of the wind is much different on the NWS site vs the Weather Channel (weather.com). Both agree that the threat of rain has moved to the afternoon and is only 20% at that time, so a non-issue. And it will be cloudy, no sun. The wind will be out of the NNE. BUT, the NWS has the wind at an acceptable 8-10 mph....weather .com has wind at 13 and 14 mph during the time of our paddle. We would be OK at 13 or 14 at other paddles, but not this one (at least, I would not be OK in the beginning and end sections of the paddle which is open ocean. I don't own a spray skirt and a wind out of the north at 13 or 14 would push water over the side of the boat.)

    I'm conflicted. I'd like to do one more paddle before taking off, but........

    Will email again later. I didn't hear from any of you in response to my email yesterday. No opinions?

    September 29, 2013

  • Joyce

    The NWS forecast for Monday is for high winds....and very high wind gusts, so this paddle will probably be cancelled. Will post Sunday evening after we all check the forecast Sunday.

    September 28, 2013

6 went

Imagine having a community behind you

Get started Learn more
Rafaël

We just grab a coffee and speak French. Some people have been coming every week for months... it creates a kind of warmth to the group.

Rafaël, started French Conversation Group

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy