CANCELLED (OR CANCELED, IF YOU PREFER ONE L)
HIGH WIND IS FORECAST FOR THURSDAY IN BREWSTER. AM TRYING TO RESCHEDULE THIS AND POST SOMETHING FOR WEDNESDAY, 21, OR FRIDAY, 23. EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE A REQUEST.
This will be our second Quivett Creek paddle before June 15, after which Brewster stickers are required for parking. (will also post this paddle after Labor Day when stickers are no longer required).
We'll launch earlier than usual - at 9:00 AM, because high tide in Barnstable and Sesuit Harbors is about 6:20 AM on May 22, 2014. So, there won't be enough water to get to the end of the creek, pictured above. If there is wind forecast for the 22nd, the paddle may not be postponed, although the tide will get better for the marsh over the next few days. The next day starts Memorial Day weekend, when I assume folks don't want to be on the roads. But, if you want to postpone, we could launch at Mants Landing / Beach, where there should be lots of parking at 9:00 AM, even on Memorial Day weekend.
We'll paddle from Paines Creek Beach and hug the shore going west to the mouth of Quivett Creek. As we make our way up this wonderful creek, we'll be surrounded by extensive marsh.
Even though the vast majority of the paddle is in protected water in the marsh, the paddle from the launch to the marsh is wide open. If the wind is out of the north, then kayaks are pushed in toward land and water is splashed over the side of the kayak. If wind is out of the east, it can be difficult to get back to the launch.
LIKE ALL OUR PADDLES, THIS PADDLE IS ONLY FOR EXPERIENCED AND ENERGETIC PEOPLE WHO ALREADY HAVE EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE KAYAKING, THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO GET SOME TIME ON THE WATER. YOU MUST HAVE THAT EXPERIENCE BEFORE PADDLING WITH US.
DIRECTIONS: From US 6, take exit 9 and go north on Rt 134 to Rt 6A. Go right on 6A and drive east for 2.75 miles...bear left at a fork onto Lower Rd. Drive 0.2 mile and turn left onto Paines Creek Rd and go about 0.7 mile to the parking lot.
We launch PRIOR to the barricades, on the left...there is a small, paved, downward sloping ramp to the water that is not obvious as you approach it.
Make sure I can contact you in case weather forces cancellation.