JUNE 10, 2014 - Paddle Quivett Creek from Paines Beach, Brewster

 

 

This will be our last Quivett Creek paddle before June 15, after which Brewster stickers are required for parking.  (will also post this paddle after Labor Day when stickers are no longer required).

We'll launch at 10:00 AM, because high tide in Barnstable and Sesuit Harbors is about 9:44 AM on June 10, 2014.  We can postpone this paddle until the next day, if wind keeps us off the water on the 10th.

We'll paddle from Paines Creek Beach and hug the shore going west to the mouth of Quivett Creek.  As we make our way up this wonderful creek, we'll be surrounded by extensive marsh.

Even though the vast majority of the paddle is in protected water in the marsh, the paddle from the launch to the marsh is wide open. If the wind is out of the north, then kayaks are pushed in toward land and water is splashed over the side of the kayak. If wind is out of the east, it can be difficult to get back to the launch. (for us non-sea kayakers, who paddle without a skirt.)

LIKE ALL OUR PADDLES, THIS PADDLE IS ONLY FOR EXPERIENCED AND ENERGETIC PEOPLE WHO ALREADY HAVE EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE KAYAKING, THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO GET SOME TIME ON THE WATER. YOU MUST HAVE THAT EXPERIENCE BEFORE PADDLING WITH US.

DIRECTIONS: From US 6, take exit 9 and go north on Rt 134 to Rt 6A. Go right on 6A and drive east for 2.75 miles...bear left at a fork onto Lower Rd.  Drive 0.2 mile and turn left onto Paines Creek Rd and go about 0.7 mile to the parking lot.

We launch PRIOR to the rocks, on the left...there is a  small, paved, downward sloping ramp to the water that is not obvious as you approach it.

If there is NO wind and if many people sign up for this paddle, the launch location can be switched to Mants Landing, that has a large parking lot. Parking at Paines Creek is very limited.

Make sure I can contact you in case weather forces cancellation.

Join or login to comment.

  • Joyce

    When the forecast was better for today than it was for tomorrow, we kept the paddle on today....When I got home from the paddle, I made other plans for tomorrow. But, the forecast now does not look bad for tomorrow. I posted 2 trips for next week and 2 for the week after that,,,,,may try to get another one in there also.

    June 10, 2014

  • Jim

    How about trying Quivett Creek tomorrow?

    June 10, 2014

  • Joyce

    Yes, we paddled today. Now we know who the tough ones are (ooops, that must have autocorrected...I wrote "we know who the foolhardy ones are" : ) Anna found that Paines Creek Beach was closed off, so I met her at Mantz Landing. The sky looked iffy, so I suggested launching into the pond at Punkhorn. We have seen prettier days there ! But, we paddled.

    June 10, 2014

    • Joan

      Good for you two! It poured here and I wad glad not to have the drive so I'm willing to accept "nonbrave"

      June 10, 2014

  • Joyce

    9:09...Betsey is not going. That leaves Anna, Beth and me. Have no phone # for Anna. It was raining here for a minute at 9:07 and then quit. The sky looks brighter, but it may just be toying with us : (

    Again, Beth and I will decide at 9:30.

    Anna?????

    June 10, 2014

  • Mike K.

    Not going Joyce. Still in FL. Home mid-late July. Hope you are having good times up on the Cape! Miss you guys!

    June 10, 2014

  • Joyce

    8:54... Beth & I are planning on heading over there, but will verify before 9:30. Hate that this is such a close call.

    June 10, 2014

  • Joyce

    8:36, just had a brief shower in Yarmouth Port..about 1 minute long. I'll head over to Paines Creek (am all loaded up), but if I lived at a distance, I'd really hesitate.

    June 10, 2014

  • Joan

    7:56, pouring rain in Falmouth

    June 10, 2014

  • Joan

    Damp and misty in Falmouth so I'm going to stay put. Catch up on another one soon.

    June 10, 2014

  • A former member
    A former member

    The NWS is saying that there's a 70% chance of showers in Brewster with between a tenth and quarter of an inch expected before noon. It's a close call but I think I'll play it safe and opt out. See you all next week.

    June 10, 2014

  • Joyce

    6:45 AM. For Brewster: The Weather Channel says no rain & no wind ! .......NWS says showers & some fog likely, but no wind (high winds moved to tomorrow's forecast)......windfinder.com still shows high winds this morning, but no rain.
    At my house on the north side of Yarmouth at 6:50 AM, the sun is coming out, the sky is getting blue (although it is 100% overcast) and the wind is calm.
    I think we may be OK this morning. See you there.

    June 10, 2014

  • Betsey B.

    I will also wait until morning to decide.

    June 9, 2014

  • Joan

    I'll decide in AM also. Hesitant to drive from Falmouth and be rained out. Might do a local paddle here instead. I'll email Joyce before 8am.

    June 9, 2014

  • A former member
    A former member

    I'll decide in the morning around 8 am. My concern is the chance of rain since the Jeep top is off.

    June 9, 2014

  • Joyce

    7:06 PM..windfinder.com is less reliable up here than in Florida, so let's "trust" the other 2 wind forecasts and give it a shot tomorrow. The good thing is if we get there and decide that it feels too windy, we can drive a very short distance, just 2.5 miles, and paddle a much more protected location >>>Punkhorn Parklands.

    Jim obviously won't off load his boat until after we make a decision at about 9:45 at the Paines Creek Beach launch (probably nobody should off load before 9:45)

    June 9, 2014

  • Joyce

    weather.com says for 10:00 to noon tomorrow, wind at only 11 to 13 mph, out of the SW, with a 30% chance of showers or THUNDERSTORMS. For Wed at paddle time, it says wind at 12 mph, out of the NE...no rain.

    weather.gov (NWS) predicts 30% of showers and thunderstorms after 9:00 AM, with winds only at 8-10 mph, but might be foggy. For Wed, winds at 6-10.


    windfinder.com is sticking to winds at 15 mph, with gusts to 20 mph, out of the SW for tomorrow at 11:00 am......lower winds on Wed AM at 13 mph, with gusts to 15.

    NOT AGREEMENT IN FORECASTS > MIGHT BE LESS WIND ON WED, BUT NOT FOR SURE. THERE IS AGREEMENT THAT THERE IS LESS OF A CHANCE FOR RAIN ON WED. THIS IS A TOUGH CALL. WE COULD TRY IT TOMORROW AND THEN IF IT SEEMS WINDY WHILE WE ARE AT THE LAUNCH, WE COULD DRIVE ONLY 2 1/2 MILES TO PUNKHORN AND PADDLE THOSE 3 BEAUTIFUL PONDS.

    Shoot me an email if you get this by about 7PM...will decide then and post again. Tough call since most of you said you could go either day.

    June 9, 2014

  • Joan

    Sounds like a perfect plan, thanks. Hope your birding today is/was great!

    June 9, 2014

  • Joyce

    7:00 AM on Monday --windfinder.com now has the forecast for wind in Brewster being high for both Tuesday and Wednesday. The NWS predicts OK wind. The Weather Channel (weather.com) has moderate wind forecasted for both days. Most of you said you could go either Tues or Wed, so let's see if things change by tonight. Event though the paddle from Paines Creek Beach launch to the mouth of Quivett Creek is only about 1/2 mile along the shore, water is pushed over the boat by high winds....and many of us don't own spray skirts....and it's no fun battling high winds, even with a skirt.

    If the wind forecast is bad by about 7 PM tonight, I'll postpone the paddle to Wednesday...and then will make a decision about kayaking on Wednesday at about 7 PM Tuesday evening. Please let me know if that does not work for you.

    June 9, 2014

  • Joyce

    The forecast this far ahead is not that reliable, but the prediction for wind (on windfinder.com) on Tuesday and Wednesday is exactly the same at 11:00 am on both days (14 mph w gusts to 17 mph).....but there is a chance or rain on Tuesday that is predicted NOT to start until we are off the water Tuesday.

    I just wanted to get a sense of the group concerning whether you could paddle Wed instead of Tues, if it comes to that...meaning, if the forecast of rain moves to Wed morning. I don't mind a little rain, but will not be on the water if there is ANY chance of lightning.

    Let me know your thoughts...I'm birding tomorrow, so Mon is out. Tues or Wed are equally good for me. How about you?

    June 8, 2014

    • Jim

      I prefer Tuesday which I can make for sure. I am not sure about Wednesday.

      June 8, 2014

    • A former member
      A former member

      Tuesday or Wednesday.

      June 8, 2014

  • Anna B.

    Is there enough parking if I join in?

    June 3, 2014

    • Jim

      I'll have a trailer so I may have to park up the street and ride my bike back. You could do the same.

      June 3, 2014

  • Joyce

    Anna, yes, please come. Re parking spaces....there are folks who park there just to walk the beach, so it more depends on timing whether we have plenty of parking or not. I guess Tuesday is better then a weekend day.
    If you have not seen the parking area this year, there are probably only about 10 spaces, given that the first few vehicles don't park at an angle. Really can't know what the situation will be until we get there. I will get there early : )

    June 3, 2014

  • Jim

    I've had so much going on this spring that this is my first chance to sign up even though I've seen several paddle trips I would have like to join.

    June 2, 2014

5 went

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more
Rafaël

We just grab a coffee and speak French. Some people have been coming every week for months... it creates a kind of warmth to the group.

Rafaël, started French Conversation Group

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy