At KidsCanCode we make computers fun! By looking "under the hood," kids learn that a computer is a powerful tool - one they can use to create amazing projects of their own. Imagine building your own website, creating a video game, or wow-ing your teacher with an amazing science project. Our classes lay the foundation for a positive relationship with technology.
Benefits of learning programming
We are surrounded by technology, and every single piece of technology, from your smartphone to the car you drive, is controlled by software that was written by programmers. Learning about programming helps you learn about how computers work.
Developing programming skills, even at the elementary school level, can have numerous benefits:
- It teaches about problem solving (algorithmic thinking)
- It's cross-curricular (solve math problems or create an art project)
- It generates early interest in Computer Science
- It stimulates design & creativity
- It strengthens math skills
What do we teach?
Python is a fully featured modern programming language that places an emphasis on writing code that is easy to read. As such, it has gained a strong following in educational circles as a first language for computer science courses.
A summary of Python's benefits:
- It's Multi-platform - runs on all popular computing platforms.
- If you're running Linux or OS X it's already installed!
- It has wide global industry support.
- Python is used at YouTube, NASA, Google, and many more large organizations you've heard of.
- Clean and simple syntax.
- General purpose - it can be applied to many different types of problems, from science to math to gaming and graphics.
- Because of this, many colleges, such as MIT and several of the UC schools, have adopted Python for their introductory computer science classes.
New! Scratch classes available for younger kids!
Scratch is a graphical educational programming environment specifically designed to teach programming concepts to younger children. By clicking together Lego-like blocks, kids can build up sequences of instructions to create animations, games, interactive stories, simulations, and more.
Scratch teaches many fundamental programming concepts such as iteration (looping), conditional statements, variables, threads, user interface design, event handling, and more.