Warren
Announcing a new Meetup for Korean Barbecue Groupies!

What: SOBAN­
When: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:30 PM

Where: Soban
4001 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90019
(323) 936-9106

Time to return to Soban.

Nobody was all that impressed the last time we visited but I think this place deserves a second chance. We all had soup last time (and that was my very first meetup with this group), which turned out to be a very stinky but tasty soup, but since then I've learned to like this soup if it's what I think it is (containing Doenjang fermented bean paste). Prices are a little high.

You get a good variety of Banchan here. The atmosphere is sort of rustic minimalist and the place seems to cater to health-conscious and perhaps more upscale types of Korean patrons. This place is small and popular and such popularity is usually for a good reason. I'm making this a small event for 4 people just like the last time this was scheduled back on November 17th (as a sort of anniversary event?). Also we're set for a small group because this restaurant is suited for a more adventurous type of eater than most.

This time lets get a couple of different dishes than we did last time:

• mae woon galbi jjim (spicy braised short rib - compare to seong buk dong's version)
  • gae jang (raw crab - compare to so kong dong's version)
  • eun dae goo jorim (cod braised in a sweet-spicy sauce - we may have had this last time)

Here is a helpful blog post describing the above dishes with some pictures:

http://effingdericiou...­

Please note that the restaurant can be a little hard to find due to a bit of lack of english signage (but "Soban" is on the door, at least according to the pictures at this last link below).

A bunch of pictures, untranslated, showing exterior, interior and some dishes:

http://blog.naver.com...­

Check it out!