The LA Independent Film Club Message Board › Ten fav lesser-seen or foreign films

Ten fav lesser-seen or foreign films

A former member
Post #: 11
To start up a little discussion, why don't you post your 10(ish) fav lesser-seen/foreign films. I'd like to discover some new-to-me movies and would be very happy to share my list with you guys..

1) Harakiri - for me the greatest movie ever made. the uncompromising framing and sparse, chilling score (by toru takemitsu) perfectly serves the narrative. an intensely political and contemporary movie.
2) Le samourai - coolest movie ever shot
3) Fitzcarraldo - a wild movie-making experience. ludicrously ambitious and dangerous project by Werner Herzog.
4) In the Mood for Love - stairs. and maggie cheung.
5) Woman in the Dunes - the sand is their prison, but it flows so beautifully
6) Stalker - pure cinema
7) Jules et Jim - it seemingly transcends the conventions of film
8) Talk to Her - the cinematic riches here almost come too easily
9) Underground - a dark serbian movie crammed with life
10) Raise the Red Lantern - the movie builds up two extraordinary seconds of perfect drama
katie
user 10609214
Claremont, CA
Post #: 4
you always do a good job at starting an interesting discussion! I am a bit intimidated - as much as I love indie's I don't know that I can list all of my favs...and they may be a bit more commercial - but I still love in no particular order:

1) the big night: brothers who own (and are on the verge of losing) their restaurant - my favorite scene is at the end when they are making a simple egg dish
2) dinner rush: the more I watch this, the more I like its simplicity and play on an italian family restaurant, and transitioning from the old world of family style dining to the new world of gastronomics
3) godsford park - a classic
4,5) 2 other Clive Owen films: Croupier, 1998: salacious and truthful, and Bent, 1997 - surprisingly anti-hollywood-demi-god-esque... and the entire cast is amazing
6,7) and indie gone mainstream favorites: Sunshine Cleaners, Hurt Locker,
8) visually one of the best - and amazing affects: Tarsem's The Fall, 2006: favorite scene, "I touch your big toe" (check youtube)http://www.youtube.co...­
9) short film to checkout: strangers, 2004 http://www.youtube.co...­
10) and...1954, Rear Window - it is impossible for me not to watch this if i come across it will channel surfing!

and i think, the most amazing message in 49 seconds:
http://www.youtube.co...­

enjoy!!!

katie
A former member
Post #: 6
Sean,

That's a fantastic list. Le Samourai is one of my all time favorites and can't believe more people aren't aware of it. Alain Delon is so incredibly cool. And even though it's a bit dated, the cat-and-mouse game is still quite thrilling . And it made me want to own a Citroen DS. http://www.youtube.co...­

Werner Herzog is one of my favorite film makers and I think he is only getting more interesting. His next film is supposed to be a documentary on the prehistoric artwork in the caves of Chauvet. It will be shot in 3-D(!) Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre, Wrath of God are awesome. Klaus Kinski is the very stuff of nightmares, and if you haven't seen Herzog's documentary about him, My Best Fiend, it is required viewing.

I love Stalker and, of course, Solaris. Raise the Red Lantern is possibly one of the most exquisite-looking films ever and your assessment is spot on. My favorite moment from Talk To Her - Caetano Veloso singing at the party. The only film I haven't seen on your list is Underground, so I'm off to Netflix to add it to my mile-long queue.

@Katie-- I loved Bent. Mick Jagger was great. I always thought it would be really cool for someone to cast him as James Bond. A sort of run down, older Bond on one last mission. He'd be perfect.

With that, I humbly submit my own list:

1) Bad Boy Bubby - An Australian film about a man whose mother keeps him locked in their apartment for 35 years. Then he gets out and experiences the world for the first time.

2) Landscape in the Mist - A heartbreaking film about 2 children, a brother and sister, who hit in search of their parents.

3) Leolo - A coming of age story. Hilarious, harrowing, fantastic.

4) The Three Colors: Red - Though it helps to have seen the other two films in the trilogy (Blue and White) it's not entirely necessary to enjoy this beautiful character study of a young model and an old judge.

5) Rivers & Tides and Touch the Sound - I don't get demerits for putting two films in one slot, do I? Two documentaries by the same filmmakers. One about Scottish artist Andy Goldsworthy who works in natural and temporary mediums to produce things of fleeting beauty and one about Scottish musician Evelyn Glennie, a percussionist who is deaf.

6) Cyclo - Visually striking Vietnamese drama.

7) The Host - Awesome Korean monster movie!!!!

8) Thomas in Love - A near-future sci-fi film about an agoraphobe who has been in his apartment for many years. We never actually see Thomas. We only see what he sees and all the action takes place over his video phone.

9) Element of Crime - Lars von Trier's first film in the "Europa Trilogy." Moody, atmospheric and brilliant.

10) Pan's Labyrinth - I thought this film was visionary, phantasmagorical, heartbreaking... Seeing a pattern emerge yet?

Wow. Several other films flooding into my head now that I've made the list. I could easily do a top 50. Some other time perhaps. Thanks for starting the discussion. Looking forward to what others recommend.

A former member
Post #: 12
Cyclo is awesome. Speaking of The Host, we saw Bong Joon-Ho's new movie "Mother" as a group last time. Very good one. Similar to Memories of Murder in theme and construction.

Katie - I did watch The Fall after we talked about it. pretty good. it really reminded me of Baraka. I recall them sharing some images.

I'll check out some of these titles. Thanks.
Min
minervaf
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 3
Ok my list is a mix of indie foreign and indie domestic. I mixed it up a bit. I have been meaning to see Raise the Red Lantern, but will definitely make it a point to watch it. Great idea for a discussion topic Sean. I hope to be able to join everybody for a meetup soon...

1. My Life As A Dog- A quirky Swedish movie about a boy who is sent to live with family.

2. Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome the Fabulous Stains-this is by far my favorite Diane Lane movie (she’s one of my favorite actresses) and also one of my favorite movies. I think this is her film debut. The cult movie stars a very young Diane Lane as a singer in a band.

3. Herzog- Some of my favorites by Herzog are: Fitzarraldo, Aguirre, The Wrath of God, Lessons of Darkness, Grizzly Man and Nosferatu.

4. Alambrista! 1977, not foreign, but domestic phenomenal film about Mexican immigrants pursuing the American Dream. This film is obscure and somewhat difficult to find, but worth watching. Neb Beatty is in the cast.

5. Freaks-Tod Browning used actual circus performers in this movie. It bombed at the box office but has since become a cult classic. This is a film about people with abnormal qualities living their lives on screen playing roles they played in real life. This movie was way ahead of its time.

6. Breaking Away-I love this film because it’s full of meaning. Great screenplay. Its universal themes speak to all (love, loyalty, hopes, dreams). A very young Dennis Quaid starrs in this classic.

7. Amar A Morir-Fernando Lebrija directs. Another worthy contribution to recent Mexican cinema worth watching. The theme of the forbidden lovers is adopted, but this film manages to weave wealthy Mexican urban life, rugged rural “ranchero” life, and laid-back surfer life really well. The cinematography is really good, too.

8. Amorres Perros-great editing and cinematography.

9. Rudo y Cursi-Rural meets urban Mexico. A comedy about two brothers who live in the country who are catapulted into the life of professional soccer. I also recommend Y Tu Mama Tambien also starring Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna. These two actors have great on-screen chemistry in both these films.

10. Bajo La Misma Luna-movie about Mexican undocumented workers in the States with a great cast and screenplay. The restaurant / kitchen scene where the two main characters battle it out singing is by far one of the funniest I’ve seen in recently. Some of the humor may be lost in translation if you read only the subtitles. If you’re into Mexican cinema, I also recommend: La Mujer de Mi Hermano, Batalla en el Cielo, Sin Nombre, La Mujer del Puerto (1936 Mexican classic, I highly recommend this one). There’s many more, but lastly, Conejo en la Luna is a thriller about political corruption.

So there you go, I know I cheated and squeezed in a few at the end, but I realized that there are many fabulous Mexican films that I really enjoyed. Many more (Mexican and others) come to mind, but the list must end...