Floyd's Fork Creek - Miles Park to Fisherville (Shuttled)

  • April 24, 2010 · 1:00 PM
  • This location is shown only to members

I’d like to plan a trip for Floyds Fork Creek on
Saturday, April 24th, 2010 from Miles Park to the Fisherville Access Site. This is a common stretch, one that we have done a few times – approximtely 7 miles in length and about 3-4 hours in duration depending on breaks. It is a creek of extremes heavily dependant on recent rain – certain times of the year you can almost ‘walk’ the creek while other times of the year, your paddle is nothing more than a steering device thanks to the current. Based on previous experience, I think I have finally determined what CFS levels we need to be at for a safe and enjoyable trip. As of today (4/11/10) the extended forcast is calling for a high of just 60 degrees. Granted, it’s still a ways off, but its at least an indication of where temps are trending. Given that, I think a mid-to-late afternoon trip would provide the warmest temps. Lets plan to meet at 1:00 PM at the Miles Park location to unload and organize the shuttle. Our put-in is at
William F. Miles Park, off Shelbyville Road (past Middletown, towards Eastwood) After you turn on Blue Herron Road, just follow it around until you see a sign on the right pointing you towards the Canoe Access (after the bridge). We’ll all gather in the parking lot there to plan out the shuttle. Our take out will be the
Fisherville Canoe Access. The best way I can describe the location is to just give you the coordinates to plug into Google Maps (or something similar) Here it is:[masked] [masked] FYI - If you are looking at the satellite imagery on Google Earth/Maps, Yahoo etc keep in mind the photos were taken before the parking lots were added at both locations, so you won't see much there. Now, one of the reasons why this is such a popular trip is the ample parking at both the put-in and take-out. If we only get a really small turn-out, we can discuss other options to extend the length of the trip. Some members may have extra kayaks to loan out. If you can make the paddle and want to borrow a boat, go ahead and RSVP yes, and state you need to borrow one, and we'll try to find one for you. I guess that about covers it. If you have any questions, let me know. Please check back often as
I am sure there will be some updates and/or changes to the details.

Join or login to comment.

  • Brian K

    Well that sure didnt go well. I had to 'uncancel' this meetup to copy it but now I can't re-cancel it -- ugh.
    FOR THE RECORD: This meetup was cancelled due to very, very low water conditions in addition to severe weather.

    May 1, 2010

  • Greg M.

    I'm pretty certain there's no way we could paddle tomorrow. I'd go ahead and call it off.

    April 23, 2010

  • Brian K

    I will probably cancel this one later this evening due to a) its currently too low to run b) we would need it to rain between now and event and then stop in time for the event and somehow avoid the rains, thunderstorms and high winds and c) the uncertainty just causes issues when you are trying to plan out your day. Greg - what do you think or just wait it out until morning?

    April 23, 2010

  • Dave

    Will anyone be able to check out the conditions this (Friday) evening and let us know about tomorrow?

    April 23, 2010

  • Greg M.

    A friend of mine from the astronomy club just sent me this:

    NWS best guess on weather for Saturday, April 24th ? possible thunderstorms between noon and 4 with possible winds of 55-80 MPH (wind threat). A second line of storms is possible producing high winds, large hail and tornadoes. The second line should be in late afternoon 6- 9 pm.

    April 23, 2010

  • Greg M.

    If Floyd's turns out to be too low, is anyone up for the Blue? It's running at 300 cfs. I've never ran it that low, but I hear it's plenty of water.

    April 23, 2010

  • Greg M.

    Teresa, give me a call and we can figure out what to do:[masked]

    April 22, 2010

  • Jim K

    Daniel S. Ok, Thanks.
    That's good info.
    Hope rain upon you all.
    Strangest thing...before last spring I never would have thought that that there was a sport/hobby/affliction that when it rained, caused me a big grin. :)

    April 22, 2010

  • Brian K

    Hey Mark --
    I think 'game day decision' is pretty accurate. If it doesnt rain or we only get a sprinkle or two between now and Friday night, probably not happening. Best chance of rain is of course on Saturday and there's thunderstorms with it. We'll check the gauges which should take the guesswork out of it avoiding the loading up and hoping for the best scenario.

    April 22, 2010

  • Mark M

    First trip so please bear with me. As already noted the weather is a big question mark so it looks like a game day decision. I assume some rain is not a deal breaker. I guess it's just load up show up and hope for the best?

    April 21, 2010

  • Teresa T

    Greg, I can transport 1 or 2- I have a small wagon with roof rack... if there are three boats available that would be great!!... but whatever combination is available will be good...we could make do with 1 canoe if needed :) I've started asking friends also to borrow...

    April 21, 2010

  • Daniel S.

    There's a place to pull out under the bridge and a short trail to the side of the road where you could get 10 cars on both sides, not sure what the deal is with the spot but I left my Jeep there for the pickup and we didn't have any problems... an older gentleman stopped by and said it was OK to park there, it's not much but it works.

    April 21, 2010

  • Greg M.

    As far as the water level goes, there's a slight chance of rain Friday night, and a good chance all day Sat. Due to the fact that the water level spikes up very quickly during heavy rain, I think we need to keep our eye on the radar because it wouldn't be a good idea to be on the river if heavy rains could pop up.

    April 21, 2010

  • Greg M.

    Teresa, so you need one boat or three? I have five boats, but can only transport three.

    April 21, 2010

  • Jim K

    Daniel S. I met some folks a while back that pulled out at Seatonville Rd.
    What kind of facility is that? Places to park and all?

    April 21, 2010

  • Brian K

    Teresa is in need of a kayak should anyone have one available...

    Unfortunately, this trip may be a last minute decision --- was hoping for a good rain mid-week that would raise the levels and sustain into the weekend but the next real chance of rain will be on Friday and its going to need to be pretty substantial. Stay tuned...

    April 20, 2010

  • Brian K

    Levels are pretty low right now, so we'll definitely need some rain....not too many people interested in this trip, which is a little surprising...

    April 19, 2010

  • Brian K

    Yeah, then the one in Sept it was[masked] CFS -- fun but quick and not many areas to break (due to them being under water)
    I am seeing a lot of yellow circles on the extended forecast so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

    April 14, 2010

  • Greg M.

    For our trip on May 16 the river was running 160cfs and it was a fine trip. On May 23 it was running 35cfs and we had to portage A LOT. The link for the current water levels is here: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ky/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=20&site_no=03298000

    April 14, 2010

  • Brian K

    A little rain between now and the 24th would be greeeeeeeeeeeeat. What a warm and dry April we're having so far...

    April 14, 2010

9 went

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

You don't have to be an expert to start your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more
Katie

I'm surprised by the level of growth I've seen since becoming an organizer, it's given me more confidence in my abilities.

Katie, started NYC ICO

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy