Louisville Area Canoe & Kayak Group Message Board Main Forum › Safety. Safety Safety time.....

Safety. Safety Safety time.....

Nathan G.
ShrekFirefighter
Floyds Knobs, IN
Post #: 110
Being out is great, but lets stay safe! Use these resources to learn as much as possible. Stay safe, and stay alive.

<p></p>

<p></p>

<p></p>

<p></p>

Nathan G.
ShrekFirefighter
Floyds Knobs, IN
Post #: 122

Time to see more about drowning machines. Stay the hell away from these! The discharge at Mcalpine, the lower spill way is a famous spot for this. It has a unique draw from up river. People going down river from the fossil beds get draw to it, then drown horribly painful deaths. I have personally recovered one such poor soul. During some water conditions this is the ultimate drowning machine. When the water is lower and there is flow, it is just as dangerous!!!! Stay alive, stay away.

Not only do people get killed by this, but by standards who try to help die, as well as first responders. Dont involve others in you needless death.
Nathan G.
ShrekFirefighter
Floyds Knobs, IN
Post #: 127
Cold Water Boot Camp USA was produced by the National Water Safety Congress under a grant from the Sport and Fish Restoration and Boating Trust Fund, administered by the U.S. Coast Guard. Cold Water Boot Camp USA takes eight hardy volunteers from across America and puts them into cold water to see what really happens.

No matter what you think about cold water, you can not survive this on your own. You must have on a pfd, or you will drown.

In water colder than 49 F 50% of all boating accident are fatal. Watch this 2 min video, to get a basic idea of the issue, then check out the full ten min feature film.

<p>

Full video below
<p>

This is the part I want you to remember, 1-10-1 rule.
<p>
A former member
Post #: 816
Thanks for the posts.
Doug
TellCityDoug
Louisville, KY
Post #: 30
Returned from a visit to Dale Hollow Lake recently. A sign posted at the ramp by the Corp of Engineers read:

"Currently 128 drownings have occurred on Dale Hollow Lake. Of those fatalities, 0 were wearing life jackets. Remember a lifejacket is like a seat belt, it only works when you wear it. "

Lost a non-kayaker friend last week at Patoka Lake, he wasn't wearing his either.
Jim K
user 9599326
Louisville, KY
Post #: 652
Fact is...that being on the water, paddling, is/can be hazardous.

Here's 3 recent local fatalities.

http://www.wishtv.com...­

And from
BWA...(whitewater cats) over near Lexington and are some of the nicest serious paddlers that I have met.
http://www.bluegrassw...­

And from our own Louisville based Viking Canoe Club...who are serious whitewater paddlers and surely have spent a lot of time with helping my dumb ass) :) ...who knew the fellow
http://www.vikingcano...­

Well, these folks have lost a good friend. Our community has lost one of it's own. Best to his family. Regards to those who knew him, sorry for his loss.

RIP Scott Bradfield

Please be careful out there.

JimK

Jim K
user 9599326
Louisville, KY
Post #: 681
Well...I surely have made a big mistake with paddling in warm weather and winding up in cold water and surviving the same when on the Ohio. Hope to spare our mob that sort of first hand knowledge...:) Anyway...have always tried to find the best info/sites for what I like to look at before going on the River. I get a look at long range weather radar...speed of the river...winds....height of water in whatever pool......and temperature. That's a hard one to find. For a long time one had to go a USGS site and hit a bunch of links properly to find out what the temp is...and then it was only at Markland Dam (Warsaw Ky). Apparently still is....though is now easier found by going to and scrolling down at: http://waterdata.usgs...­
That's Ok. Markland temps are not going to be far off of what we get in Lou. or West Point.